1-Piece DShaft... Worth It? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
CtG
PSN Veteran

1-Piece DShaft... Worth It?

99.5 F-250 SuperCab longbed, lifted 4 inches.

So. It has the factory 2-piece on it, and we suffer from a bit o' take off shudder and some various harmonic vibes at differing speeds. Aside from our currently buggered rear pinion yoke.
The Gents at Fort Collins 4x4 Center recommended that we ditch the 2-piece design and go for a 1-piece.
I asked pros and cons and they said the only con is potential shaft wobble and bow at speeds over 100MPH, but one of the head techs was saying he had a 99.5 F-250 SC-LB with a 6" lift on 40's if I remember right and never had problems, even at 120MPH.

My big question.... Is it worth it? We don't really offroad, we do tow though and it isn't stock. Not sure current output, but we want to up the turbo (at least) in the future.

Any thoughts are MUCHO appreciated.

Also, if yes or no, please tell me why?

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

Re: 1-Piece DShaft... Worth It?

i would worry about twisting the shaft under load...thats a long stretch to the rear end.. what about axle wrap?? or is this a 2 piece shaft with a slip joint and no center bearing ???

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

"Buggered rear pinion yoke"

I think you need to focus on that. What caused it? That may be the entire issue in itself.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
CtG
PSN Veteran

Replaced the U-Joints as per my work (AutoZone... sigh) said. They were the exact same size as was in there.

But. They were wrong. Looks like the PO put the wrong ones in, which started the issue. We finished the issue.

It has a carrier bearing. It's in good shape.

So now it wallowed out the yoke. Shaft seems alright, but the yoke is buggered.

I asked about twisting that long of a shaft as well. They said it shouldn't be an issue if built right?

Have a new yoke and 3 new CORRECT U-joints coming in. Want to know if it's worth the 1-piece before we put the new u-joints in though.

The incorrect u-joints I'm sure added to the wobble issue. But still, I want to know if it might be a good idea. Messing with that annoying bearing stinks. Not to mention the 310ft/lb torque spec on the nut... I had to buy a new torque wrench and socket set >.<

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

The yoke is probably your problem. FWIW, I replaced mine, and the cups spun in the yoke afterwards and it was the correct u-joint. I am putting a setup in that the newer SD's have to prevent problems from here on out.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
CtG
PSN Veteran

The cups do spin. And the cross-width is too narrow as I found out. The cup thumping into the stop in the yoke buggered it up.

Family Rides-

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Power Stroke Psychiatrist

not to be offensive, but my local driveline shop would think anyone properly educated, and trying to do a single shaft on an ext cab long bed is an idiot, especially if you have much power. even if you balance it well it wouldn't take much to throw it off again.

the stock setup in good working order shouldn't give you any problems, even with a reasonable lift if you drop the carrier to split the angles. if you get a crazy lift, the solution is still not a single shaft, but cv joints instead of u-joints. that's what all the jeepers have to use because of extreme angles, even stock jeeps use these, as well as rear section of dodge diesel front shafts. going with a single long shaft is just not the solution.

Wayne Yates
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Evil Genius

With a 4" lift you should be able to get rid of the vibes with the stock 2 piece once you take care of your other issues.

I'm not a fan of the one piece. As mentioned they have to make them heavier to prevent from whipping at higher speeds.

I also agree with the use of a two piece if you go aftermarket. I run a 2 piece with a cv after the carrier bearing on my truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Britney's box is wrecked!

I have a CC 4x4 with a 4" lift on 35's and I have no problems since I went throught the ENTIRE truck. Replaced all the u-joints with Spicers (as that who makes the yokes for Ford), packed grease in the slipshaft and yada yada yada. Rolls down the highway like a Town Car.

Just making a point that you do not need a new driveshaft.

2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew W/ a bunch of stuff.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
PSN Veteran

I have a 12" lift on mine and run a 2 piece. I did shim the carrier bearing, but you shouldn't need to w/ 4". Everyone I have talked to says that it's too long for a one piece. Another thing to check is the slip yoke and carrier bearing.
If the slip is worn, you'll get vibes. The carrier can take a dump and cause slop in the line also which will also cause vibes.

99 F350 CCLB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode