Intercooler question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lovin the Tuna

Intercooler question

Did any 7.3 come stock with metal tanks on the intercooler? I am getting ready to do a 6.0 swap, and my buddy was amazed i had metal tanks on my IC, i have an 2001, he has a 2002 and his tanks are plastic like the 6.0 cooler i got. So i was just curious if there were any intercoolers made with metal tanks from ford or does mine have to be an aftermarket? Just curious, i will find out when i go to do the swap, but cant get to it for another week or 2. Thanks for any help guys.

2001 F250
2000 F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Re: Intercooler question

real early 01's and older had them.

Swamps, ITP diesel, DP tuner, BTS, Stecher Performance Diesel, DieselSite
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Lovin the Tuna

Ahhh, thanks. Guess mine is a real early one, because i dont think it was changed, as i bought the truck bone stock. Learn new things everyday. Do you know by any chance if its any better or worse than the stock 01-03 plastic tanks? EGT wise is it any better? Or just different material but same performance?

2001 F250
2000 F250

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Lovin the Tuna

I ask cuz my buddy is asking about my old intercooler, i dont him to use mine if it will be worse than his stock one in his 2002.

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 PM

It has less chance of failure than a plastic end tank one so yeah it is better in that sense. Performance wise they should be equal. The best bet performance wise is step up to a spearco 6.0l retrofit cooler for your 7.3l or a DI big DIIC cooler.

Swamps, ITP diesel, DP tuner, BTS, Stecher Performance Diesel, DieselSite
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Lovin the Tuna

yea, i would like to go that route... someday... But for right now the few egt drops of a stock 6.0 IC will work, plus i got it for $80 shipped. I Just need to buy the IC boot. But as for now, i need to do some tranny mods to make it last a little while longer till i can afford to get a BTS or John wood, then a BB turbo and Spearco 6.0 IC. Right now im just doing the little thing on a little budget till truck gets closer to payed off. And i will probably set up my buddy with my old IC, he has about 150k on his truck, i have about 77k, so my metal IC should be good for him. Thanks for all the help! I love learning new things about our trucks.

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Going Crazy

Send a message via MSN to badluck_early99

Ill be interested to see what kind of EGT drop you see, i have been thinkin about the 6oh cooler too and a few people I have talked to tell me to stick with my early 99 all metal one as its alot stronger and will cool almost as well..

1999 F250 PS 6spd, 37x12.50x17 ProComp Xmud, 06 Grill & Lights. DP tuner, Terminator Hpops, Garrett 42, Casserly B codes, FASS Fuel system by DI, H11's, ITP Reg Return W/Bowl Delete, Sknab 6oh Intercooler, DIY Intake, 4'' Exhaust, Itp OBA, Autometer boost and pyro, , ccv

-Richard-
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck_early99 View Post
Ill be interested to see what kind of EGT drop you see
Same here. I have one setting in my garage waiting to go in. Just haven't found the time.

J.D.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L Platinum
{OLD} 2002 F-350, 6spd, 4x4, Super Cab, Short Bed, Tadd's Programs, Autometer gauges, Marinco Inlet, 4"SS Aeroturbine exhaust, Tymar intake & WW.
333HP, 703Trq
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Lovin the Tuna

Well, I need to order the boot, so hopefully it will be on next weekend. I will be sure to let you guys know if its worth it, I will try to get a close idea on the egt difference and post it up for you.

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
Did any 7.3 come stock with metal tanks on the intercooler? I am getting ready to do a 6.0 swap, and my buddy was amazed i had metal tanks on my IC, i have an 2001, he has a 2002 and his tanks are plastic like the 6.0 cooler i got. So i was just curious if there were any intercoolers made with metal tanks from ford or does mine have to be an aftermarket? Just curious, i will find out when i go to do the swap, but cant get to it for another week or 2. Thanks for any help guys.
I would bet you also have some forged rods in there too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode