Time for Brakes - seeking opinions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Time for Brakes - seeking opinions

84k on the factory brakes ain't bad, but they are squeeking so I am assuming it's time to replace. I will inspect them this weekend to make sure.

I can't say as I am unhappy with the factory brakes, but if I can get better aftermarket brakes for nearly the same money, I'm cool with that. I don't know if my rotors can be turned or not (anyone know the spec?). So Assuming the worst, I need rotors and pads.

My truck has been relegated to towing and hardware store runs, or my DD when my mazda breaks a timing belt . When towing, it is my 4500lbs bronco on a 2200lb trailer, so we're right at 7k for now, but probably slighly heavier if I ever get the gooseneck I want.

Based on that, what are your recommendations on brakes? Front only for now, but the rear may not be too far behind. Thanks for the help!

J.D.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L Platinum
{OLD} 2002 F-350, 6spd, 4x4, Super Cab, Short Bed, Tadd's Programs, Autometer gauges, Marinco Inlet, 4"SS Aeroturbine exhaust, Tymar intake & WW.
333HP, 703Trq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Haulin' Iron

Re: Time for Brakes - seeking opinions

I upgraded to Powerstop cross-drilled & slotted front rotors and slotted rotors for the rear. Peterson racing carbon-kevlar pads all the way around. Why Powerstop, that is all that was available back in 2004. I have 50,000 miles of towing on them and no problems, I have abused the $hit out of them on the occasional "old lady pull out in front of me while hauling 25,000 lbs senario" and have yet to have any warped rotor vibration.

After the upgrade you will smile everytime you use the brakes, what a difference, firm pedal, no brake fade, unbelieveable stopping power.

Be ready to open your wallet but, factory brakes suck and are a waste of your time and money.

'99 F-350 CC SB Lariat 4x4 Auto -DI chip-GTP38R-BPV delete-Zoodad-Suncoast tugger trans-6.0 trans cooler-Powerstop brakes-CCV-Gauges-Exhaust-AIS Intake-Kenwood sounds-
-Traveling the Earth 300 ft at a time-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
PSN Veteran

I am runnin stock rotors with hawk pads and they perform great.

2001 F250, CCSB, 4X4, Auto, Forged rods
Lots of go fast parts and still slow.

2001 F250, STD cab, 2WD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frame is a little shorter now
workin on body
engine build underway

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks! Keep it coming. As much as I'd like to get cream of the crop brakes, I am having to put unexpected money into my Mazda right now and I know my clutch will need replacing soon too, so I need the best-bang-for-the-buck typ stuff.

I'll likely research all the prices and then make a decision.

J.D.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L Platinum
{OLD} 2002 F-350, 6spd, 4x4, Super Cab, Short Bed, Tadd's Programs, Autometer gauges, Marinco Inlet, 4"SS Aeroturbine exhaust, Tymar intake & WW.
333HP, 703Trq
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
PSN Veteran

i run motorcraft in everything i own all fords btw always have. any time i install napa or autozone pads or places like that on my customers cars it never fails they come back with noisey brakes. the only time i get a noise is if dirt mud etc. gets in there. also imo what you are towing i wouldn't turn the rotors it will cause them to heat up faster and possibley warp quicker. if money allows, throw another set of rotors on there when you put the brakes on, its really not that much more work. btw make sure to lube the slide pins if you didn't already know that.

LUKE

2002 CCLB AUT0 4X4

S&B, DI/PRICOL GAUGES, CCV, ZOODAD, TS CHIP-MATT AT GEARHEAD,
38R, ADRENALINE, SWAMP'S IDM, 4" T/B MBRP
05 CONVERSION, 4 INCH LIFT, 325/65-18 FIERCE ATTITUDE M/T
WILSON 5000 GALAXY DX66

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:20 PM
PSN Veteran

super ih how many miles did you get out of your factory brakes?

LUKE

2002 CCLB AUT0 4X4

S&B, DI/PRICOL GAUGES, CCV, ZOODAD, TS CHIP-MATT AT GEARHEAD,
38R, ADRENALINE, SWAMP'S IDM, 4" T/B MBRP
05 CONVERSION, 4 INCH LIFT, 325/65-18 FIERCE ATTITUDE M/T
WILSON 5000 GALAXY DX66

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Back to Civilian Life!!

I have stock rotors with some new pads Ford just just came out with for our trucks called super duty pads. I just go with the stock stuff cuz they last a long time and I get them for cheap.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Haulin' Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper7.3 View Post
super ih how many miles did you get out of your factory brakes?
I bought the truck in 2001 with 55,000, the brakes were not worn bad but the pads had started to fall apart. I put new FORD pads and rotors on, first old lady senario and they were warped so I just lived with it because I was not spending more money on the same product just to have it warp again. The rotor shake progressively got worse and finally in 2004 with 130,000 miles I got some cash around for the good stuff and have been happy ever since. The rotors do not warp and the pads have alot more "grip" to them.

I also agree to regularly check the caliper slides and keep them greased.

'99 F-350 CC SB Lariat 4x4 Auto -DI chip-GTP38R-BPV delete-Zoodad-Suncoast tugger trans-6.0 trans cooler-Powerstop brakes-CCV-Gauges-Exhaust-AIS Intake-Kenwood sounds-
-Traveling the Earth 300 ft at a time-

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
PSN Local

I just placed an order for EBC brakes and pads.... they have a SuperDuty pad that is supposed to work great on trucks that tow over 7k lbs

They gave it a great name too...lol

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM
PSN Veteran

I got powerslot slotted rotors with Hawk Superduty pads. They brake really nicely but the pads are a little noisy at low speed stopping the LTS are supposed to be pretty quiet.

2000 F250 EX LB 4x4 XLT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode