best oil for Dual HPOP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97
best oil for Dual HPOP

first....before i start a pissing contest-I dont care who has what pumps or whos pump(s) are better, worse, or junk

ALL I want to know is about OIL..

i've heard Rottella T shears to quickly with the dual pump setups...

what are you all running with Dual HPOPs? Whats good, better, best?

thanks
~Tim

CCLB with some stuff done .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
HP Junky

Re: best oil for Dual HPOP

I've always run Rotella T in my truck and had big oil for over 50k miles. Change it every 3-3500 miles. Delo makes my truck idle weird for some reason. Never tried any other brands though.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97

thats good to know, i've been running rottella since i got the truck...but i used to let it run to 5-6k....ive heard i cant do that with the dual pumps due to the shearing.....

i guess im looking for an oil that i can run at least to 4500 mi with out it degrading

and the rottella in the trucknow has 3k on it so its time...

CCLB with some stuff done .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
PSN Veteran

Wow, I havn't heard this before. I have always run Rotella T and changed out 6k. I now have 4k on truck with Big Oil.

01' F250 PSD CC 4x4, GTP38R, Hi-Flow outlet, DI Bellowed up-pipes, BTS Hpop, DI Regulated return, ITP Annilator, AM 3pod, AFE PG7 Stage II, Silverline 4in T-Back, 6.0 Trans cooler, Dp F5, BTS Trans, True-Trac 3.73, Powerslot Cryo, Rotella ELC, Nitto Terra 285/75/16E on Alcoa wheels
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
An Ancient view on life

Location: Houston, Texas wishing I was on the Pig farm in Iowa

I don't have dual pumps, but run Delvac 1 for 10,000. miles. I change the engine filter at 5000 with make up oil. However, I do have a Filtration Solutions FS-2500 that I replace every 20,000 miles. At 10,000 miles I can still see through the dipstick just about like new oil. I think the FS-2500 is the best mod that I have done. I also never run any filter except the Navistar unit. I think the Ford unit is the same, but at twice the price.

I am getting set up to oil sample and will try for 15,000 after the next oil change if everything is in place and the TBN (TBN is the additive package) is holding up ok.

I put Rotella T in one time and it really screwed the pooch. IPR wouldn't close or regulate and ran like junk. I drained it out, put Delvac 1 back in and all was well again. Big disadvantage is that Delvac 1 is $140.00 per case (just checked it today) for 4 gallons.

[SIGPIC]
1997 F-250 CC
Banks intercooler-6 position Chip and BlownAway Headers from DI

URL=
src="
border="0" alt="" />[/URL]

2003 VW Jetta TDI-----50 mpg

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Got Bost???

I tried amsoil with my daul pumps and it ran like crap. Switched to rotella and it ran a lot better but I do want to try schafers. Unfortunately I havnt gotten a chance.

95 Ex. Cab Long Bed 4x4. Built.

01 Ex. Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4 6 Speed. Intake, Exhaust, Super Chips Tuned
Tow Mule
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 AM
2nd class citizen

i run lucas 15w40 works great. i used to run delo and have switched.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:37 AM
PSN Veteran

When you guys say that the oil made your truck run like crap, what was the truck doing exactly? I don't have big oil, but I'm curious as to what different oil brands might do to make the truck run better.

BTW I run Rotella 15w-40 all year round.

Early 99 F-350
4" lift on 33's. Daily Driver/ Plow truck.
Swamp's Gen3, 300/200's, Tuning, 76mm Sledgehammer. BTS. Fuel system, ARP's, P-Rods, 910's, and a few other things. Stock Block.
SOLD

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 AM

Delo 400 or Schaeffers would be my first two choices. Both are very good oils. I don't run long drains which helps. If you try and do long drains the HPOS will really beat up on the oil. For a syn oil I'd look at Delvac 1.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Got Bost???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfan99 View Post
When you guys say that the oil made your truck run like crap, what was the truck doing exactly? I don't have big oil, but I'm curious as to what different oil brands might do to make the truck run better.

BTW I run Rotella 15w-40 all year round.
It dosent start good, idles rough and I could feel a difference in power between the two.

95 Ex. Cab Long Bed 4x4. Built.

01 Ex. Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4 6 Speed. Intake, Exhaust, Super Chips Tuned
Tow Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode