Garrett BB install and results - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Haulin' Iron

Talking Garrett BB install and results

Two weeks ago I installed the GTP38R on the truck in my sig.
I have driven this truck for 8 years, and anymore is mainly used only for hauling my trailer and pulling tractor. I have upgraded along the way as needed. 3 weeks ago my turbo started to go out at 180,000 miles.

Install was pretty easy, I deleted the Exhaust Backpressure Valve & Intake Air Heater, did the Zoodad mod, all new CAC hoses and put a piece of 4 inch pipe between the turbo intake boot and the air box to delete the factory plastic connection (where the CCV connected).

Initial test drive on the street I mainly noticed the noise of the turbo and pretty smooth boost build, right up to 32 psi. Nice but nothing really special.

Last weekend I hooked onto the trailer with two tractors, grossing a tad over 25,000 lbs. This is where it got my attention. First I noticed better accelleration under load with EGT's staying under 1150F (pyro in manifold) and zero surge. I got it out on the highway and set the cruise at 73 mph, EGT's stayed under 1000F, and it ran so much happier. The engine ran like it wasn't working near as hard as with the stock turbo. I ran it up to 85 mph and EGT's closed in on 1200F. Driving 2 lain black top roads in over-drive I could pull 5-6% hills at 62 mph and keep EGT's under 1200F.

The difference in turbo's is like switching my chip from stock to the race setting. This is a well recommended upgrade with impressive results. I would never think that a turbo could make this much of a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toys6.JPG (921.1 KB, 50 views)

'99 F-350 CC SB Lariat 4x4 Auto -DI chip-GTP38R-BPV delete-Zoodad-Suncoast tugger trans-6.0 trans cooler-Powerstop brakes-CCV-Gauges-Exhaust-AIS Intake-Kenwood sounds-
-Traveling the Earth 300 ft at a time-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Re: Garrett BB install and results

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
HP Junky

38R is a great turbo!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Drink til she's cute

2008 F-250: High Powers / Dual K16 / 60% Nozzles
ELITE
NO LIMIT
SWAMPS
GEARHEAD
INNOVATIVE
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Did you leave the EPBV?

-Shawn Collister #16

-2002 F250 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" Magnaflow, AIS, Vegistroke, ScanGauge, AC's tuned by Swamps

-2003 F450 Crew/4x4/Auto- 4" exhaust, Alcoas, Air ride, AIS, Garrett 38R, X-monitor
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa450 View Post
Did you leave the EPBV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superih View Post
Install was pretty easy, I deleted the Exhaust Backpressure Valve & Intake Air Heater

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
38R is a great turbo!

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

Score one for the good guys.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Back to Civilian Life!!

Mine is sitting at home waiting for me to put it in this weekend. Did you delete the EBPV yourself? Can you PM me on how you did it? What did you do with the CCV tube? Turn it around and just run it out the bottom of the truck?

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:08 AM
6.4's are my Hero.

Send a message via AIM to Reubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILFORD View Post
Mine is sitting at home waiting for me to put it in this weekend. Did you delete the EBPV yourself? Can you PM me on how you did it? What did you do with the CCV tube? Turn it around and just run it out the bottom of the truck?
I just got a piece of heater hose and connected it the the CCV and ran it under the cab.

'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode