SD PCM into OBS for Performance increase??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

SD PCM into OBS for Performance increase???

Ok over at FTE a guy posts a questions as he is putting a 02 VDH5 PCM into his 96 truck. He hasn't got the trans working right yet but thats not the topic of discussion for this thread. He claims with a DI chip compared to DI tunes on the newer PCM he has better performance. I would like how that is possible. I don't believe it as. The SD PCM can't do anything else that a chip can.

So discuss and explain if possible

Link to thread
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/77...questions.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:03 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: SD PCM into OBS for Performance increase???

I hope he's going to re-pin the harness to the PCM, seeing as they do not have the same pinouts. I think he's barking up the wrong tree.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

I can tell you that my Bronco with a MNM1 and AA injectors will kill a reg cab OBS with essentially the same tunes.

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
I can tell you that my Bronco with a MNM1 and AA injectors will kill a reg cab OBS with essentially the same tunes.
Can you explain why? All things the same I would think you can change programming the same no matter what PCM your using.

And yes from the sounds of it he has built a pigtail adapter for the PCM harness.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
What else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
But Dave, doesn't your Bronco also have a 38R among other non-stock parts? Also is that an OBS engine or SD engine you have in there?

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbeggs View Post
Can you explain why? All things the same I would think you can change programming the same no matter what PCM your using. And yes from the sounds of it he has built a pigtail adapter for the PCM harness.
I used to think the same thing till I drove the Bronco for the first time, it weighs 6160 without me so it's on par with a reg cab 4x4 OBS as far as weight is concerned.
I also know you can take an early 99 truck and put a 99.5 PCM and get better performance with the same programming.
as for the "why" I haven't the slightest clue.

David Lott
Quote:
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
But Dave, doesn't your Bronco also have a 38R among other non-stock parts? Also is that an OBS engine or SD engine you have in there?

Dave
it's an OBS engine with stock SD turbo and a regulated return kit otherwise it's a 250,000 mile original engine.

David Lott
Quote:
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 AM
What else?

Gotcha Dave, I thought I remembered it not being stock!

Dave

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

FWIW My truck feels like its running stronger going from the XLE PCM to the NVK PCM.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 12:49 AM
PSN Veteran

early99 to late does make a difference. Anyone noticed if you put a pmt1 file on a xle truck it will idle very very quiet and low?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode