Cackle, Injector Noise, or Pre ignition? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Cackle, Injector Noise, or Pre ignition?

I have this type of sound coming from the drivers side bank of the motor. It is most noticeable when about 1/2-3/4 throttle with the T/C locked. It almost sounds like a little bit of excessive injector noise, but at the same time it sounds like it could be cackle also. I also know that pre ignition sounds similar to these noises. What would cause "excessive" injector noise or cackle with a fuel system? Could a bent pushrod cause this noise? I would think it would show up in a CCT though. But I do have a DI regulated return. I know pre ignition is caused my excessive timing or hot spots in the pistons... I feel it sounds most like injector noise though

It just seems like i have alot more injector noise after watching Charles' new videos. Truck runs great gets about 18 mpg mixed driving and makes plenty of power.

Or maybe it is just my imagination

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Cackle, Injector Noise, or Pre ignition?

I'm going out on a limb here but my guess that would be why Charles preaches about matched sets of injectors and balancing them. This is why yours sound louder than his.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 PM

You can't have pre-ignition unless a nozzle has failed. You can ignite something if it's not in the cylinder, unless you are talking about a gas pot with fuel in the intake air.

You could have fuel knock, which sounds similar to really excessive timing or in some cases a rod knock. Fuel knock occurs when you get a stream or large droplets of fuel instead of well atomized fuel.

If the injectors were not balanced when built or the nozzles are leaking then you are gonna get some degree of fuel knock. It should affect both banks, unless it's just one injector on one bank.

What rpm does it occur at most? Does it coincide with a particular ICP, RPM, etc?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

It coincides with throttle input more than anything else, which makes me think it is just injector noise. But i was just curious if anyone else had an opinion of this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 AM
PSN Newb

Look at your UVC harness. Mine seems to make more injector noise when I have an issue. It will usually fail a DTC test once I hear the noise. I really need to remember the clips when I have it open!

02 F250 CC 4X4 Lariat. H-11 hood latch bolts. Full cryo'ed battery hold down tabs. Ultralow drag A/C compressor clutch. High flow coolant hoses. Battery cable insulation delete. High rpm A/C blower. Low profile lug nuts. Full synthetic tire air. Rear-view mirror mod. Rear seat TAG. More to come and all in search of more power.......

5264hp/11963.116tq(No.2 only)(Mod math dyno)
Fastest Powerstroke south of Baton Rouge and north of Elmo!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Seems like it does it in my 80 tune between 1700-2200 RPM. Once under a good amount of boost all i can hear is engine noise, hardly any injector noise.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Could it be as simple as a driver's side exhaust leak?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

How would an exhaust leak create extra injector noise? The truck isnt slow to spool or low on boost and the EGTs are not bad...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

Exhaust leaks pre-turbo will sound like a loud "tick" noise. If you have an injection imbalance of any sort, exhaust leaks will be all the more obnoxious.

Video it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I've had exhaust leaks before on gas motors right at the header and i know what you mean by it creates a "tick" noise. But I'll give it a try, but i highly doubt it will be audible via video camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode