AGR powersteering pump vs stock pump - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

AGR powersteering pump vs stock pump

Hey guys...does anyone have experience with the AGR high performance powersteering pump with increased pressure output. Does it perform better and more reliable then stock units? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: AGR powersteering pump vs stock pump

I don't have any experience with AGR pumps, but I am running PSC pumps on both my trucks. As far as I know, both manufacturers' pumps run additional pressure and volume.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when going to a pump that flows more volume is the hydroboost. It can only flow so much. To go to a ps pump that runs any additional volume, you need to have the hydroboost ported. If you don't it's only a matter of time until to blow the ps pump when it goes into bypass.

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Never heard of them till you posted the question but after cruising the net I found nothing but high praise for them and it seems to be a quality product. Most of the post and such I read seemed to favor it as a strong pump that did better at idle than the stock pump. Rock crawlers seem to love it from what I read.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I havent read any issues about the hydroboost issues. I wouldn't think they would offer a high performance pump as a bolt on replacement if the hydroboost was going to blow up. Maybe they have some kind of restricter for that portion.

Crowz I think I might dive in and try it out seeing how my factory pump gave out on me when driving. Scray trying to stop an 8000lbs truck with no steering and brakes. Factory unit is a POS with plastic fluid housing held on by a single oring. hah
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 AM
PSN Mega Miler

Sounds like something worth checking out. Id try stuff like that more myself except till next year at this rate Im elbroke-o

Wife's off work each summer so I cant play much getting stuff till winter months.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post
I havent read any issues about the hydroboost issues. I wouldn't think they would offer a high performance pump as a bolt on replacement if the hydroboost was going to blow up. Maybe they have some kind of restricter for that portion.

Crowz I think I might dive in and try it out seeing how my factory pump gave out on me when driving. Scray trying to stop an 8000lbs truck with no steering and brakes. Factory unit is a POS with plastic fluid housing held on by a single oring. hah
A pump flowing higher volume and making higher pressure will not damage the hydroboost in any way. The hydroboost is the restriction in the system, thus the need for porting. A stock hydroboost will cause damage to the internals of a bigger ps pump over time. The damage occurs at full clock on the steering wheel. This is where the pump goes into bypass to bleed off excess pressure. You can actually hear this when you turn your wheels to the stops (that whining/straining noise you hear from the PS pump).

PSC stopped selling upgraded pumps to the SuperDuty crowd specifically because of the hydroboost issues. AGR still sells them, but the guys that are running the stock hydroboost ARE having ps pump issues. The AGR "SUPER" pump they have pictured is a modified Saginaw pump - similar to what PSC used to sell.

If you want to run that pump you will need to send your hydroboost to VanCo www.vancopbs.com . They are the guys that do all hydroboost porting for AGR and PSC. If you think I'm full of sh!t on this one, then please call VanCo and talk to them. They won't BS you.

Good Luck

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 PM
PSN Veteran

I did the AGR kit. It sucked... The pump is a 1970's GM unpainted steel unit. It requires you to butcher your stock bracket so you better get a 2nd one so when it crackes and the pump fails you can put a stock pump back on. It did seem to make it easier to steer @ a stop but the pump failed within 3k and the bracket cracked from the vibration of the pump.
I am now running a stock pump and a Red Head box and it turns very nice and the wander is gone.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
should have built

FOR SALE
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstik View Post
The AGR "SUPER" pump they have pictured is a modified Saginaw pump - similar to what PSC used to sell.

Good Luck
I was going to say, it sounds like an old school GM pump. They were Saginaws. Good pumps.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post

If you search TDS, you will find numerous reports of folks that want to turn the wheel with one pinky finger with full application of the brakes, who purchased AGR and later PSC pumps who had the pumps fail only to be denied warranty by AGR and PSC as the hydroboost system could not pass the volume. You can search on my username and AGR or PSC to find them. PSC has a great reputation among the PSD crowd and AGR less so. Mostly do to warranty issues. I think PSC no longer advertises their products for the PSD due to the hydroboost issue. They are still available though the last time I checked. Call them to see for sure. There is a company in CA that will modify your hydroboost system to be compatible.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstik View Post
A pump flowing higher volume and making higher pressure will not damage the hydroboost in any way. The hydroboost is the restriction in the system, thus the need for porting. A stock hydroboost will cause damage to the internals of a bigger ps pump over time. The damage occurs at full clock on the steering wheel. This is where the pump goes into bypass to bleed off excess pressure. You can actually hear this when you turn your wheels to the stops (that whining/straining noise you hear from the PS pump).

PSC stopped selling upgraded pumps to the SuperDuty crowd specifically because of the hydroboost issues. AGR still sells them, but the guys that are running the stock hydroboost ARE having ps pump issues. The AGR "SUPER" pump they have pictured is a modified Saginaw pump - similar to what PSC used to sell.

If you want to run that pump you will need to send your hydroboost to VanCo www.vancopbs.com . They are the guys that do all hydroboost porting for AGR and PSC. If you think I'm full of sh!t on this one, then please call VanCo and talk to them. They won't BS you.

Good Luck
Exactly. I think the PSC has a better mounting system than AGR as well.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode