Looking for guidance and a midwest guru - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Looking for guidance and a midwest guru

Hi guys,
Brand new to the forum as well as to the world of performance diesel. I bought a beautiful '00 F-250 Crew 7.3L about a year and a half ago with about 190k. I run a small contracting business and am rarely home to enjoy it so the beast is just not getting the attention she deserves. The previous owner did a lot to the old girl, but honestly I'm not sure what all he did do. I need a trusted guy local to the Kansas City, Missouri area who can tell what was done, what needs done, and will steer me in the right direction as I'm not one who understands all the abbreviations on the forum just yet. Does anyone know of someone who fits that description?

A few of her features off the top of my head (since I'm 1k miles away from her) are: 6" lift, Rancho shocks, 18" rims, 35" Dick Cepeks, K&N filter, gauge cluster on A-pillar (boost & trans temp, empty 3rd hole), something about steering box, something about transmission (the word billet was used), i believe a superchip programmer (though i'm not positive without looking at it...i know it's red), 4" exhaust, '05 grill, '08 tailgate, cab lights and LED running board lights. As far as internal mods, I have no idea. I'm a little embarrassed of my lack of knowledge of what my own truck has. The previous owner seemed pretty passionate, and unfortunately I didn't get a complete list of the upgrades he did. I got a 2 minute dissertation and forgot most of it. I love the truck and would like to devote some effort to making it stunning like some of the trucks i've seen on here. I do pull trailers with her sometimes- pintle hitch and gooseneck mostly, so I can't sacrifice work capacity. I've read bad things on here about the superchip. I generally leave it on the tow setting, not sure if that's the right thing to do or not. I was amazed at the acceleration she has for an 8500 lb truck and the performance setting is noticeably better. I know she needs a bigger tranny cooler and not the current stock one. I have read about fuel system upgrades on here too and probably need to address that, assuming it hasn't been done already. I would like to make sure she has a solid and durable foundation first and am pretty happy with performance (until I spend a few more hours reading this forum). But I'm chomping at the bit to make her bigger and more beautiful. I like the '08 conversions I've seen on here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beast1asmall.jpg (180.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg beast2asmall.jpg (175.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by BulldogMack; 02-16-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: add pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM
PSN Local

Re: Looking for guidance and a midwest guru

I think the closest "guru" is Brian's Truck Stop in Lead Hill, AR, almost 4 hours away. I've heard there is a guy up by Claycomo that specializes in Powerstrokes only. I think almost everybody is going to recommend that you ditch the K & N setup. The Ford AIS would be a great choice if you are not going too mod crazy. Nice truck btw.

2001 CREW CAB LARIAT SHORT BED - 7.3 FORGED ROD MOTOR AIS - MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST - 18" HARLEY WHEELS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Looking for guidance and a midwest guru

Thanks Berg. If what you've heard about a guy in Claycomo is correct, that would be great as I live only 15 minutes from there. Any more info on him? I'll put in some due diligence myself and see what I can find out. Thanks again for the tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode