Muffler length...noise difference? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Muffler length...noise difference?

Will a shorter muffler be louder or quieter than a longer one? Anyone have anything bad to say about a Silverline muffler?

2001 Excursion Limited, Swamps 175/146 singles, John Wood tranny, UltraLite Gauges, 4" turbo back, AFE stage 1, Dp tunes, 7" Superlift, Fox Shocks, Firestone Airbags, 35"Toyo M/t...blah,blah,blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Banned

Re: Muffler length...noise difference?

My Garrett mufflers work better than the factory muffler. Course if you count the entire scroll distance they are pretty long.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Subject Matter Expert

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 AM
PSN nerd

muffler?? huh

alot of it depends on the style of the internals but most of the time the longer the quieter they should be

im putting my walker btm muffler back on my truck just gettin a bit tired of the drone with the trailer

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:15 AM
PSN Veteran

The mufflers that i've used the shorter the mufflers are ussauly louder than longer one, all depends on what kind that you buy. One with baffles or free flowing.
I've never used silverline. I say open it up all the way no muffler no cat, is loud but sounds great.

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
PSN Veteran

If I was going to run a muffler,,, It would be the "Aero turbine" for sound alone, (And they are very short) BUT I SERIOUSLY doubt it increases performance at all, (No one can convince me otherwise either,, if there are any "Sponsors" on here for them,, (Someone on another forum SWORE it would increase it by evacuating the exhaust or some crap ON A TURBO CHARGED MOTOR?) BUT for the ridiculous price they ask, sound is not that important to me,, so I love my STRAIGHT PIPE.

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:41 PM
PSN Local

I had a silverline for a year or so and thought it sounded great until i took it of......... straight pipe it.

02 F-250 SC SB 4X4
AUTOMETER COBALT EGT BOOST TRANS
4'' SILVERLINE TURBO-BACK STRAIGHT PIPE
6637 INTAKE
HP CROSSOVER LINE
DP TUNER LIVED TUNED BY JODY
JOHN WOOD STREET PERFORMANCE TRANS
CASSERLY 200CC 80% HYBRIDS
TERMINATOR MODDED HPOP
ITP REGULATED RETURN
GARRETT GTP38R
ITP OVERBOOST ANNIHILATOR
468HP 970TQ

CHRIS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Stimulated

I had a magnaflow on mine. Now the only sound the muffler makes is from rolling around the bed of my truck.

Straight pipe, FTW

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 06:28 PM
utah get me two

my truck already had a 4 inch exhaust system on it when i bought it.
silverline muff and tip.its a straight through muff,but i still dropped 40 deg on my egt's.when i straight piped it.
now the tip is another matter all toghther,it is the best looking tip out there..period..i love my silverline tip.
i cant stand rolled edges,beveled edges FTW..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2001 f250 4x4 cc sb 6 in lift...dp 6 pos..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode