Stock Injectors vs Swamps Stage 2 Splits - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Stock Injectors vs Swamps Stage 2 Splits

Does anyone have any experience with the Stage 2 Splitshots from Swamps? Not looking for 400 hp but slightly better than stock would be good. I am not interested in singles because of the ecm programming. Basically if you had a choice between the two what would it be?

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM
the stryker god

Re: Stock Injectors vs Swamps Stage 2 Splits

Single shots or nothin. Idk what you're afraid of with singles but they are better in every aspect
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Rock Steady

You already have a chip but dont want to runn single shot inj. just trying to make sure I understand the question.

2000 F-450 Dump NLTD tunes

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
PSN Local

You will need more hpo if there is a big nozzle.
You will need new tunes to run a larger split shot as well to make any exra power.
I didnt even no there was still such an animal available.

Not even sure what makes it a stg. 2..... And not require tuning as they state ?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yes I already have a chip but you can't just run down to the local parts store and get another one thats programmed for singles. If something goes wrong with the chip I want to be able to pull it out and still have a good running truck. This truck is a my only truck and can't afford to have downtime waiting on another chip if something happens.

2003 F250 7.3, 4" lift w/ 35" BFG AT's, 4" exaust straight piped, cai, PHP Phoenix 6pos chip,WW2 w/ Barder 360 kit, RS 9000 shocks
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Rock Steady

Understood, guess thats why I have spare chip and pcm for each truck. Also so I can send the spare out to try different tunes. Never had reason to use the spares yet.
Talk to Dave , I believe he would burn your chip if you decide to go with Swamps.

2000 F-450 Dump NLTD tunes
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Hacksaw Engineer

You can also get your PCM burned for singles so if you have a chip problem your not dead in the water.

2000 XLT 4x4 LBCC 6 speed BHAF mod DI chip. 4inch exhaust and gauges.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the responses guys. I've tried to research these splits the best I could and haven't found a post on any diesel sites about first hand experiences with these. I'm not going to buy something that no one else has used besides the manufacturer. Guess they might not be such a good idea afterall.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery P-Stroke View Post
Yes I already have a chip but you can't just run down to the local parts store and get another one thats programmed for singles. If something goes wrong with the chip I want to be able to pull it out and still have a good running truck. This truck is a my only truck and can't afford to have downtime waiting on another chip if something happens.
I just had my pcm flashed with my best running tune as the j3 port fried. The down side is if i want a change, i have to send the pcm in. Im going to pick up a stock pcm one day just to make tuning upgrades easier, this is my second chip with issues due to the pcm. Im kind of done with plug n play chips. Especially when i go to singles, i dont enjoy sitting broke down, though theres a low percentage of guys with chip issues on the other hand.

Singles are really the better way to go, more power, less hpo, easier to tune, less smoke, less heat and better mpg.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
<-- it's like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDER PRESSURE View Post
You will need more hpo if there is a big nozzle.
I beg to differ. That comes more from an "old school" train of thought.

If you can get the same amount of fuel out in 3 ms rather than 4 ms on an identical injector.... which one is going to require more oil?

Which one is going to smoke less?

Which one is going to have cooler EGT's?

Split-shots are only oil hungry because of the inherent nature of the split-shot injector AND the amount of time it takes to empty them given the stock nozzle size. Eliminate the restriction of the nozzle size, and reduce the amount of time it takes to inject the fuel, and watch your HPOP hold pressure easier than before. Then you get the side-effects of less smoke because you aren't dragging out PW longer than your injection window, and you have cooler EGT's because you're burning the fuel within that injection window rather than continuing to spray it when it's not doing any good.

It's still going to use a bit more oil than a single shot, but it's going to make a big improvement given proper tuning.

Quote:
You will need new tunes to run a larger split shot as well to make any exra power.
Ehhhhhhh.... let's reword this.

Throwing Stage II splits onto bone stock tuning will automatically make extra power. It's because you now have more fuel available in that same amount of PW that the tuning is calling for.

What should be stated is that you need new tunes to run them PROPERLY. Pulsewidth is going to have to be scaled back with larger nozzles.

Quote:
I didnt even no there was still such an animal available.
Yep, they've been around for years. They never became popular because of the common tuning applications years ago, which more often than not consisted of throwing gobs of PW at the injectors. Do that to larger nozzles, and you end up with a smokey pig that eats up all your oil and asks for more. Tune injectors with larger nozzles the right way, and you get more power with less oil usage, and smoke can be kept under control and even end up with less smoke than stock nozzles as your power needs increase.

Quote:
Not even sure what makes it a stg. 2..... And not require tuning as they state ?
Stage II is typically a nozzle change. There can be more to it than that, but typically it's going to a larger nozzle. Just like singles are often labeled as Stage I and Stage II, with Stage II being the exact same injector as a Stage II but with a 30% or 80% nozzle (depending on the builder, but this is applicable just about across the board).

They state it doesn't "require" tuning because it will run and idle fine on stock programming, contrary to trying to run single shots on split shot tuning. However, it can cause a more touchy pedal and more smoke. If tuning is adjusted properly to account for the larger nozzles, that smoke and touchy pedal can be eliminated.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode