rodding vs towing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
utah get me two

rodding vs towing

in the towing sectionthere is a thread entitled,even heavely modded trucks can tow,and that got me to thinking about why we do certain mods,would say bigpower's truck tow good,or destroy itself,cause i have ,pmr'sand my truck is for towing,BUT if i can hot rod it too thats a big plusso the question is if there is a difference, in what mody you would do,what are they....david

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2001 f250 4x4 cc sb 6 in lift...dp 6 pos..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: rodding vs towing

Thats the joy of a shift on the fly chip, you can go from a 550hp rodder to a 350hp puller with a flick of a switch... You just cant tow at 550hp and expect alot of parts to survive

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:14 AM
<- Sums it up

^^^^^^What he said. At 500hp+ towing you would be out there with a magnet salvaging the scrap steel to help pay for the rebuild.

Early99 CC LWB 4X4
Updated B codes, Modded H2E, Big oil, half filled block, studded, John Wood 4R100. 232K miles
Tows like a champ!

"Damn Larry, he passed us like a freight train passing a hobo!"
--Lisa P.

Just sold to Larry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2-17-2019: 97 CC LWB 4X4 7.3 with full banks kit, John Wood E4OD. 139K miles

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamis_dave View Post
in the towing sectionthere is a thread entitled,even heavely modded trucks can tow,and that got me to thinking about why we do certain mods,would say bigpower's truck tow good,or destroy itself,cause i have ,pmr'sand my truck is for towing,BUT if i can hot rod it too thats a big plusso the question is if there is a difference, in what mody you would do,what are they....david

Hey thats my thread! IMO if a person wants a good tow truck they should limit the size of the turbo. If they want alot of hp in a good tow truck a smaller turbo with nitrous or twins would be the only way to go. A big single can be used to tow, but it takes some babysitting. You have to keep the rpms up, not be in the throttle too hard on the shifts or it will bark and of course the not so fun surge. IF i were needing a truck strictly for towing id back the injectors down to stage 2's and turbo back down to an h2e... That was a pretty damn nice tow setup for me

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:30 AM
PSN Veteran

So a set of stage II singles and a TN BB1.0 would make a good tow rig? This is what I think I'm going to work towards after my trans goes in. It should tow a 10-12K toy hauler just fine.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I would go hybrids if it were me... Stage 2's are a bandaid IMHO...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
I would go hybrids if it were me... Stage 2's are a bandaid IMHO...
And hybrids aren't?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 AM
PSN Veteran

A Bandaid for what? I'd like to go to hybrids but just wanted to be able to tow 12K when I want And I thought they might be too big.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Corona Killa

The set-up I'm going to run is a TN BB with some hybrids with stock nozzles, Teminator twin HPOPs and some DP-TUNES. I will get the Terminator and injectors after I get my trans built and IMO that right there should be a great all around truck.

2007 DODGE 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 5.9 LITER CUMMINS
2002 FORD F-250 CREW CAB 4X4 POWERSTROKE
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDIESELMAN View Post
The set-up I'm going to run is a TN BB with some hybrids with stock nozzles, Teminator twin HPOPs and some DP-TUNES. I will get the Terminator and injectors after I get my trans built and IMO that right there should be a great all around truck.

I want roughly the same thing except I don't want to spend the $ on big oil just yet. And I have not decides what INjectors yet. I think I want singles for the MPG and running a stock hpop. Yes DP tunes all the way....

Thomas Jefferson

Beans Diesel Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode