new chip problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

new chip problem

just installed some stage 1 single shots and a chip. from who does not matter they are reputable.

the truck will fire up and run with out the chip, not perfect, but it starts fine.
with the chip it will not start just tries, there is no wait to start light....
the truck had a different chip before the new injectors.

called the new chip guys, they said must be connection. guys at the shop "cleaned" the terminals before installing new chip. There is no copper left on the terminals now. Chip guys said i could re-tin to improve connection.

tomorrow i will bring my old chip to see if it will start with that?
bad new chip or bad connection on terminals? what do you all think?

re-tin? does it work/help?

1994 F-700 Cummins 5.9 12v and Arbortech chip body

1999 International 4900 DT466E w/Allison auto, flatbed 60' rear mount altec am855 boom.

2001 F-350 7.3 4x4 reg cab, single shots, BTS trans,
35" toyo mt's on black 18" KMC addicts

2006 F-350 6.0 4x4 cc lariat, 20" stock wheels with toyo at's....waiting for studs and all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Re: new chip problem

Sounds like the chip has the wrong code in it.

03 CCSB King Ranch 4X4 6.0, IDP Xstreet, Muffler delete. [email protected]

00 CCSB, ZF6, 2WD. RIP 1-22-12

06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX SSL, LR 2.0, TS EFR9180, E85, 4 slicks and a chute...maybe some other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Camaro, awaiting turbo LSX and chassis work
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
dkrajcovic

bad connection on terminals if no wait to start light
the terminals on the ecm should look like a brite copper color
post up some pics of your terminals both sides i bet that it what is wrong

2000 f350 drw, grages, 4" down pipe, 4" dp back , FRx, 6637 filter, ccv kit, PHP tuner

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Village Idiot

Sounds like too mucj taken off contacts

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM
TURBO LIT 'N' THAT WAS IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frashdog View Post
just installed some stage 1 single shots and a chip. from who does not matter they are reputable.

the truck will fire up and run with out the chip, not perfect, but it starts fine.
with the chip it will not start just tries, there is no wait to start light....
the truck had a different chip before the new injectors.

called the new chip guys, they said must be connection. guys at the shop "cleaned" the terminals before installing new chip. There is no copper left on the terminals now. Chip guys said i could re-tin to improve connection.

tomorrow i will bring my old chip to see if it will start with that?
bad new chip or bad connection on terminals? what do you all think?

re-tin? does it work/help?
If the copper is gone your chip can not make contact, thus it wont start and no wait to start light, not sure about re-tinning the terminals never did it, but it might be worth a shot

03 SCSB (TOTALED)
00 ccsb zf6, 4" exhaust, 6637, ts chip w/php tunes, tinted glowshift gauges, ats ported housing,RR, leveled, ccv mod, pp mod, zoodad, intake heater delete, ebpv delete, WW2, t-500, South Bend clutch, more to possibly come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 AM
PSN Veteran

I would retin it before buying a new pcm. If the copper is gone that IS the problem.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

There was no copper at all on the terminals when I looked at it after shop had it and ran into problems. I feel like I saw copper when I removed the old chip prior to bringing it to the shop. Shop owner say's it was that way when they got it, and he did not clean it and he was the first one to attempt to plug new chip in. Thus he thinks it is a bad chip.

Alone while questioning the mechanics procedures, the shop mechanic told me he scotch brighted the terminals, as per the instructions. I assume shop owner was unaware of this. Mechanic did not know I already cleaned it as per instruction once for a prior chip. So I feel like he "over cleaned it" thus the clues of no copper and no "wait to start" light. What ever, Getting upset about or blaming some one is the wrong direction for my energy. Moving forward.

I was told by chip seller to retin pcm terminals. I also read a bit about others re-tinning the pcm terminals, seems pretty straight foward.

Asked the shop to please re-pull the pcm and retin. I also brought them my old chip so we could prove the new chip was not bad.

we shall soon see...see how more easily I can smoke the rear wheels off the truck with these new injector that is!

1999 International 4900 DT466E w/Allison auto, flatbed 60' rear mount altec am855 boom.

2006 F-350 6.0 4x4 cc lariat, 20" stock wheels with toyo at's....waiting for studs and all that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
PSN Local

Sounds like connection to me. You shouldn't even take it down to copper really. have them resolder the terminals smooth it out and try it then will have a good solid surface as well. The solder will give you a nice even thick contact that the chip will solidly attach to also making it very difficult to come loose making it much more secure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

We put old chip in...it works just fine, starts and drives
We put new chip in...no worky...hmmm

Maybe new chip needed more material to seat properly so we resoldered/re-tinned and same story. Old chip works new chip does not, must be the new chip has a problem right?

Starts right up and drives just fine on old tuning for stock injectors, though it does not idle smooth. I was assured by several folks, specifically the tuner of the new chip and the seller of the new injectors it was fine to use old chip/tuning till i sort out the new chip issue.

Sending new chip back.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM
PSN Local

Retin it !

I just went through this headache. Copper does not conduct very well on a pcm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode