Wnat some input on ideas - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wnat some input on ideas

OK, I've spent some time reading past threads and going over info and learning. I'm still a noob to the 7.3 though, and since my plan may not be exactly typical I wanted some input. I'm thinking of doing things in two distinct phases, but even when its all done it will be a mild buildup. On to the questions...

I'm aware from reading that everyone prefers custom tunes to canned tunes, and that most like the ability to shift tunes on the fly. I'm NOT interested in shifting tunes on the go, and am only planning to run an economy/daily driver type tune in the truck. Would a custom tune really benefit my special circumstance much, and secondly would you still lean more towards a chip without some sort of monitor if you already had an OBD II scan tool like I do ?

My phase I plans are hutch/harpoon,gauges for boost/tranny temp/egt,Tymar,wicked wheel II,muffler delete,BTS valvebody,down pipe,and tuning of some sort. I plan to run like this until I need injectors or a tranny whichever comes first. When that happens I would start my phase II and do a RR, Stage I injector, GTP-38R,complete BTS tranny, and re-tune for the items.

I have race and hot street rides already, so I'm not really looking for a bunch of extra performance. I'm mostly driven by an effort to improve, enjoy some better mileage, but not take away from reliablity, and have fun while keeping it mild and affordable. I'm interested in hearing constructive thoughts from those knowing much more than I do about the platform, thanks in advance !

02 Excursion Limited PMR 7.3 WW2 , 6637, XCal3/EDGE CTS, 4 inch DP/muffler delete exhaust, 5 inch tip, slotted and cross drilled rotors, EBC pads...
90 Mustang Hatch 351/5 spd
91 Mustang GT 306 H/C/I T56 6 spd
92 Mustang SSP 408/Nitrous
93 Mustang Vert 306 H/C/I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Wnat some input on ideas

What scan tool do you have?
You could always get a single position chip if you feel you must have only one position. I think its worth it having custom tunes over canned tunes even with stock injectors.

-Tyler-
-97 F-250 rclb, 305/70-16 cooper stt, 6637, PHP Hydra, AB's, e-fuel, sonnax, ebv delete, ccv mod, 3" dp to 6" tip--Sold
-08 Ram 3500 rclb, 6" Fabtech, 325/60-17 Nittos, egr/dpf delete, Efi by Draconian, s&b, 6" mitre
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
PSN Veteran

How you gonna monitor EGTS with a scan tool?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Village Idiot

sounds like you have a programmer already..what kind?
superchips,diablo, pred...etc

the sct is a great one and can be custom programmed.
personally irun mostly in my hot tune and use my foot for econo..
i get the same milage savings.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
PSN Veteran

What type of scan tool do you already have? Is is a programmer? I am a little confused by what you said so just looking for clarification.

Anyway, you will be much happier with custom tunes. We can help you out there if you are interested.

We carry a couple different chips, and our Infinity programmer/monitor if you would like to go that route.

Let me know if I can help you out.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What type of scan tool do you already have? Is is a programmer? I am a little confused by what you said so just looking for clarification.

Anyway, you will be much happier with custom tunes. We can help you out there if you are interested.

We carry a couple different chips, and our Infinity programmer/monitor if you would like to go that route.

Let me know if I can help you out.
do you guys write tunes for sct justin?

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 AM
PSN Local

if you are going to use only 1 tune..just have your PCM flashed with the desired tune and save the money

2003 F250 7.3 PSD Lariat,fresh forged rod motor,Full Force 300/200 Hybrid injectors,Terminator Dual HPOP,BW S468 turbo w/race cover,Isspro Guages,BTS Trans,XRF front end,Red Head steering box, Yukon 4.56gears,6" BDS lift,AD 150 w/sump,Walbro pump,SD Regulated Return,DP tuner Live Tuned,armed with Infinity and on & on & on
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
do you guys write tunes for sct justin?
Yes we do Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyd61 View Post
if you are going to use only 1 tune..just have your PCM flashed with the desired tune and save the money
We do this too.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Looks like maybe I confused some folks with my comment about the scan tool, its an Actron unit BTW...

What I was referring to was not really needing something with the capability of pulling codes if needed because I can already do that. I listed in the O/P that I'm planning to get gauges, and one of the planned gauges would be an EGT gauge, so thats how I'll be keeping an eye on that. I'm familiar with SCT products as I've used them in numerous Mustang projects, so thats of course an option I'm considering. One of the others based on what I've read here was to get in touch with DP about a custom tune. Since I have the scan tool and plan to have gauges, a chip would probably make better sense for me than the Infinity I looked at on your site, but we can discuss that if that unit makes it far enough in my consideration process...

None of these plans will happen overnight yall. I work out on the boat 8 months out of the year, and my family and Stang projects take priority, but I am looking at all the options at this point and trying to make up my mind firmly before buying things. I appreciate all the ideas and help !

02 Excursion Limited PMR 7.3 WW2 , 6637, XCal3/EDGE CTS, 4 inch DP/muffler delete exhaust, 5 inch tip, slotted and cross drilled rotors, EBC pads...
90 Mustang Hatch 351/5 spd
91 Mustang GT 306 H/C/I T56 6 spd
92 Mustang SSP 408/Nitrous
93 Mustang Vert 306 H/C/I
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSkip View Post
Looks like maybe I confused some folks with my comment about the scan tool, its an Actron unit BTW...

What I was referring to was not really needing something with the capability of pulling codes if needed because I can already do that. I listed in the O/P that I'm planning to get gauges, and one of the planned gauges would be an EGT gauge, so thats how I'll be keeping an eye on that. I'm familiar with SCT products as I've used them in numerous Mustang projects, so thats of course an option I'm considering. One of the others based on what I've read here was to get in touch with DP about a custom tune. Since I have the scan tool and plan to have gauges, a chip would probably make better sense for me than the Infinity I looked at on your site, but we can discuss that if that unit makes it far enough in my consideration process...

None of these plans will happen overnight yall. I work out on the boat 8 months out of the year, and my family and Stang projects take priority, but I am looking at all the options at this point and trying to make up my mind firmly before buying things. I appreciate all the ideas and help !
Feel free to contact me whenever you would like. I can go over the options we offer and answer any questions you may have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode