ceramic coat - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
User Error

ceramic coat

Has anyone tried this on the exhaust parts? manifolds, up pipes, turbine housing (prolly not that one), down pipe? what's the going rate? every site says call for pricing, obvious on that one. If not, how about heat wrap? trying to lower underhood temps and keep exhaust pipe heat sink near the transmission low as possible.

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: ceramic coat

I had Jet Hot coat my bellowed up-pipes and downpipe. It cost $195.00 shipped to have the the pipes done in "extreme sterling". I believe this coating may only be good to 1300, which for me is plenty. You could go with the 2000, but that coating was only available in matte colors. I wanted a polished finish. I would recommend a color other than black on the up-pipes. This way you can see if there is any exhaust leak. If I ever need new manifolds, I will likely have them coated. With Jet-hot, you measure the length of pipe and they will give you a good estimate. I remember being very pleased.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Village Idiot

yes lots of people have done it good results.. a few guys even sold oem mani's coated.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
User Error

sounds good. i was gonna have everything but manifolds done. id do them too but i doubt ill get them off without drilling and tapping at least 3 studs. you prolly cant do a turbo exhaust housing could you?

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Most retailers offer a exhaust housingfor ceramic option if you buy a turbo. Usually $40-130 extra. Have seen posting of guys getting the new Dorman bellowed up pipes coated for $100.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Not sure where in NC you are located, Jet Hot has a large facility near Burlington, NC. Could save $$ dropping off instead of shipping.

I have not read anything on before/after under hood temperatures and if under coating is worth the $$.

I have an ATV with an after market exhaust that will melt plastic and your leg. I looked into getting it coated but everything I read was performance benefits and not how effective it would be as an thermal insulator.

Insulating pads, tape etc may work better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
the stryker god

Waste of money
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
PSN Newb

Anyone have any pics of a truck with this done?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
PSN Veteran

I was under the impression that insulating tape could result in rot. The ceramic coat should make the pipes much cooler to touch. I did it to keep everything nice and clean looking. I would do the manifolds for this reason and the idea that it will keep them cooler to the touch. I would not expect any performance benefit.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale View Post
I was under the impression that insulating tape could result in rot. The ceramic coat should make the pipes much cooler to touch. I did it to keep everything nice and clean looking. I would do the manifolds for this reason and the idea that it will keep them cooler to the touch. I would not expect any performance benefit.
I think you are referring to header wrap and I can see why that may trap stuff that would lead to corrosion. I was talking about something like this.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pr...t-shield/50/21

I would love to see before and after data on what ceramic coating will do to reduce under hood and cab heat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode