Pcm issues on a 2002 7.3 anyone have problems?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Pcm issues on a 2002 7.3 anyone have problems??

My truck went to the dealer last week because I couldn't figure out the reason why it kept dying while driving. Then it finally just decided not to re-start at all. After a short time at the dealer it was determined that the power-train control module (pcm) was fried! Once that was replaced there where no other issues. The question I have is, I have a 4 step ts performance chip piggy backed on the pcm could this be the cause of my problem? I would assume ts performance would not produce something that would damage the factory computer so I'm concerned about using it on the new pcm.

Has anyone else had pcm problems on the 7.3?

This truck is a slug without the chip installed, is there something i could use that doesn't stay plugged in to the pcm?

AZmike

2002 Ford F350, Chip, exhaust, intake, 4" inch lift, 35's, 2007 front clip, stereo, blah, blah, blah..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Pcm issues on a 2002 7.3 anyone have problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmike View Post
My truck went to the dealer last week because I couldn't figure out the reason why it kept dying while driving. Then it finally just decided not to re-start at all. After a short time at the dealer it was determined that the power-train control module (pcm) was fried! Once that was replaced there where no other issues. The question I have is, I have a 4 step ts performance chip piggy backed on the pcm could this be the cause of my problem? I would assume ts performance would not produce something that would damage the factory computer so I'm concerned about using it on the new pcm.

Has anyone else had pcm problems on the 7.3?

This truck is a slug without the chip installed, is there something i could use that doesn't stay plugged in to the pcm?

AZmike
I have an 02 and my truck is no slug....

Only way the chip could have caused problems is if was installed wrong or pulled out while driving or was loose.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The chip gets pulled out once a year for the annual smog check that's it. I just don't want to buy another pcm from the dealer!

Without the chip my truck just feels super slow and the shift point are sloppy, I'd prefer chipped up performance especially when I need to tow!!

AZmike

2002 Ford F350, Chip, exhaust, intake, 4" inch lift, 35's, 2007 front clip, stereo, blah, blah, blah..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
PSN Veteran

I hear ya.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
I have an 02 and my truck is no slug....

Only way the chip could have caused problems is if was installed wrong or pulled out while driving or was loose.
have a 2002 F350 7.3 diesel. the check engine light comes on and it starts cutting out just like an injector is not working it will do it for awhile then it will run fine then it does it again I am getting a code of p603 have cleaned the battery terminals and taken the heavy tow program out. I was told it could be the PCM that is causing this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in