new 38R turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

new 38R turbo

I just got my new 38R turbo and it looks great....... but..... they say it is ported but I thought it would also be polished. the casting roughness on the inlet and outlet is much more then the stock one. Is this normal or good??

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
4:10 rear
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
Hypertech power programmer 3
I am looking into new parts now, Turbo,sticks,custom tunes and all other supporting mods needed starting with fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Village Idiot

Re: new 38R turbo

drop a pm to powerstroke junkie..there is a divider that you can drill a small hole in that will help balance flow, i believe only one side is gated otherwise.

least he can explain exactly the point and you can decide if that is worth it.
you could also contact dieselsite and let bob pimp it out, i believe he ports ,polishes them and can play with the wheel. if you want to go all out on it.

me , myself would just slap that puppy on and run.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

I think he is asking about the compressor side..
inside where the wheel does its magic is where it is ported and polished..the rest is cast...you can smooth out the inside of the outlet..some think it give the air better flow..some polish the outside for a nice shiny finish

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yes, the outlet is what I was talking about. I have not pulled the cover off to look since it is new.

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
I am looking into new parts now, Turbo,sticks,custom tunes and all other supporting mods needed starting with fuel.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Village Idiot

bolt it on , run, smile.
dont over think it... ha ha

2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

! well you know me, I over think everything! I do need to stop at some point. I just did not understand why the stock turbo outlet tube area is nice and smooth but the new 38r is rough casting.

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Sponsor

The Garrett GTP38R is ported right out of the box. What "porting" means on a turbo is far different than what you think of in a set of heads for instance.

Inside the inlet of the compressor side, you'll see a groove cut into the housing. This allows air to route around the front of the compressor wheel and feed more air into the larger side (exducer) of the wheel. The faster the wheel spins, the more air can be actually cut off from filling the full cavity of the wheel. The other benefit of "porting" allows air to escape from the intercooler side back through the turbo into the inlet side when pressure dictates without having to come backwards through the wheel, hence "surge control".
So, porting means there is a relief groove cut into the inlet midway back on the wheel. It doesn't mean polishing. When we "port" a 38R, we massage this relief ring for those that are pushing the turbo to it's upper limits. In cases that require it, it eliminates surge on those that have it, and helps upper end air flow. But doing this mod on one that doesn't need it can be detrimental to performance. It's a delicate balance of how large and where to cut.

Bob

Bob Riley, Owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Proud Sponsor of Powerstrokenation.com
GOT DIESEL? Tech Line 352-257-1669
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you, I understand much more now about the porting and I did see the slots cut in there. I just thought the inside of the housing would be smooth. wouldn't smooth housing flow smoother less turbulent air? just being technical here

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Village Idiot

not always...golf balls vortex wing tips on jets etc

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Old Yeller, REBORN

Crank the wastegate shut before you put it on. When you add your bigger injectors, you will thank me that you did it off the truck. I had to do mine on the truck after I couldn't get past 30psi or so. It was dumping boost on me so crank it down.

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode