chips, tunes, and MPG ... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

chips, tunes, and MPG ...

please excuse my ignorance but I am new to the PSTD and the 7.3 so I will have a few off the wall questions.

My old Benz diesel pushes some pavement when I punch on it so I expected this 7.3 beast to really bark when it is asked to. Well, it's sluggish but runs great. It's a 2000 with only 110K miles and one owner. I got 20 mpg when bringing it back from SoFla.

After reading all the posts and opines about chips and performance AND the manufacturers claiming to get BETTER mileage with these performance upgrades ... I am skeptical to say the least. Extra performance means more fuel and more air ... always has. How can a set of tunes, an intake mod and exhaust mod increase performance AND mpg?

I would like more response and performance and am willing to pay for it BUT I do not want to loose mpg and reliability either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: chips, tunes, and MPG ...

Most of the starting mods (intake and exhaust) make for less restriction so the flow of the system is better. Easy in easy out. Second the tunes make the truck run more efficeintly by changing the power curve, shift points, etc.

2001 F250 CCLB, PHP Hydra, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust and rear air bags

97' F250 ECLB, 7.3, Baby Swamps, Hydra w/swamps tunes, 6637, 3"dp 4" straight, Dana 60, 2.25 PMF RSK, Built Trans & Cooler, DIY efuel
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Old Yeller, REBORN

Your not going to do better than 20mpg. That is a freak thing in my opinion unless your on flat land with a single cab 2wd. Or you have a cummins in it, .

You can't have it all as they say. Once you add power, you will sacrifice reliability and mpg may change in some instances, up 1mpg but your right foot will determine that. Mine went down because I like the power too much.

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Consider your 20mpg good. You usually do not lose MPG's when adding a chip, but you also can't expect a huge gain either. The biggest factor in mileage is your driving style and habits.

The main benefit with a tuner is gaining better drivability and performance without sacrificing mileage and reliability(dependent on you... Use your head).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 AM
PSN Veteran

Mine gets better mpg towing with my chip. Without the trailer not so.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
PSN Veteran

At 72 mph, with my 6spd crew cab 4x4 gets 18-18.5 without the chip and 19-19.5 with the chip. This is all relatively unloaded, just the family and luggage, and all highway. The chip did help me. BUT, I drive it like it does not have a chip. If you hot rod it, I imagine you will lose mpg instead. On a long trip this year, I had to slow down to 65 mph and that produced a tank of 20.3 mpg. I have a cap with a small bump, which may help as well.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Village Idiot

just changing from an e99 to a pmt2 pcm gained me 1.5 mpg...the reason i attribute to better shifting, and tc lock up strategy.
so better tuning can help for sure.

I actually didnt gain any by doing the intake on mine probably because the stock box was cracked and free flowing.

the exhaust is mildly better in flow so that might attribute to some.

as far as being sliggish remember your benz does not weigh 7000 plus pounds.
but a 7.3 will be very reliable.

things to check water pumps..add external coolant filter
ball joints and hubs on 4wd models
see if cps was changed under recall
fuel bowl drain valve -either a 45$ part or diy fix remove 4 torq screws and replace two orings.
if you tow i would do a v10 or tru cool or 6.0 tranny filter and look into helwig anti sway bars or air bags if you tow heavy.

also know that when you chip a truck the overhead mpg calc gets thrown off a bit.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode