Edge Evoi and OBDII - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Edge Evoi and OBDII

I've got a Edge Evo, I use the code reader part of the Evo when ever one of my trucks shows the check engine light.
I've used the Edge Evo to read codes on my F250 PSD, F150 5.4 v8 on my Grandsons ford Ranger, Today when I tried to read the codes on my Son in laws duramax, the edge wouldnt communicate with the pcm, it kept saying make sure the key is in the "on" position do not start engine. Tried it numerous times but always the same.
I thought OBDII was the same no matter what brand the vehicle???
Anyone know about this?

it looks like i have a typo on the title, its is supose to be

Edge Evo and OBDII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Edge Evoi and OBDII

Should only work with ford cars and trucks....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I appreciate the response but can you tell me why it should only work with "Ford" cars and trucks.
My questions stems from the idea that OBDII is OBDII, not ford OBDII or not Chevy OBDII... please tell me where I am wrong on this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I think I got it now thanks for your response...

The Five Flavors of OBD II

While the parameters, or readings, required by OBD II regulations are uniform, the auto manufacturers had some latitude in the communications protocol they used to transmit those readings to scanners. Naturally, each felt they had the one true way, so we have five different OBD II communications protocols in use.

The big scanner consoles costing thousands of dollars include the decoding software and firmware for all five protocols in their units, making them universal. Less expensive units, for home or small shop use, are usually customized for a specific communications protocol. Be sure the scanner you are using suits the protocol of your car.

What Communications Protocol does my vehicle use?

As a rule of thumb, GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation). Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 or KWP2000 circuitry. Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) communication patterns. All 2008 and newer model year vehicles use CAN.

There are some variations among captive imports such as the Cadillac Catera, a German Opel derivative, which uses the European ISO 9141 protocol. If you have first hand knowledge of other such variations, please send them in and, together, we can build a more complete listing.

On 1996 and later vehicles, you can tell which protocol is used by examining the OBD II connector:

J1850 VPW --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.
ISO 9141-2/KWP2000 --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 7, 15, and 16.
J1850 PWM --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16.
CAN --The connector should have metallic contacts in pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.
If your vehicle has this style connector, but doesn't have these pins populated, you probably have a pre-OBDII vehicle. To add some confusion, even having the connector with the contacts shown above is not a guarantee of OBD II compliance. This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Forged rods R 4 SISSIES!

If you want to make matters worse, even the CAN vehicles have different standards.

Ford uses an 11 bit frame identifier while most other manufacturers use a 29 bit frame identifier. Ford also used the ISO 15765 protocol from 2002 to 2008 and then switched to the ISO 14229 protocol in 2009. This changes the message structure somewhat, particularly in regards to reprogramming any given module.

I'm not proficient in GM or DCX communications, so I won't even begin to get into those protocols.

Now you see why we have so much fun, right?

Bill Cohron - (678) 890-1110

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- The Original in Custom Ford PSD & Gas Tuning since 1997

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FOREVER
2001 7.3L - Stage 1's and a Tymar - 399 HP
2004 6.0L - 440 HP #2 Only/482 HP on Boost Juice - 12.961 @ 102.6 MPH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode