All of the sudden I have no smoke? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

All of the sudden I have no smoke?

I shouldn't say no smoke, but hardly any now.
I have a DI regulated return that normally is at 66 or so PSI, with an in dash gauge. On Saturday I changed the oil & washed off the top of the engine. Monday I drove it & noticed that that my PSI was suddenly over 100 #'s. I did a little tinkering & finally just adjusted the regulator until the gauge read 68 psi. The next day, I noticed that it started off at 80 #'s, then dropped to 70 once the engine warmed up. It now stays steady at 70-72 #'s.
Anyway, I suspect something is wrong with the gauge, but I also noticed that when I get on it hard, I get just a little puff of smoke & that's it. Even when I lug the motor in 4th gear (which used to create a huge black cloud if smoke until the turbo got going), I get almost nothing. Why/how would a (possible) fuel pressure change or oil change do that?
Keep in mind, I like less smoke, so I am happy with this change. The trucks performance seems to be the same, I just am trying to figure out what caused this change, and make sure that whatever changed won't cause problems later on.

02 CC 4x4. AFE stage 2, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, BTS tranny, live-tuned by Jody, AC singles, DI regulated return, Terminator HPOP, DR 4.5" lift & some other stuff...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Re: All of the sudden I have no smoke?

Hard saying. I'd check the regulator out. Maybe it's got some gunk in it plugging it up creating the higher pressure. I know I lost about 20 hp or so when I ran my fuel pressure up to 80 psi vs about 60 and I had a rolling idle that would kill the engine when comming down to a stop sometimes at 60 psi that went away when I dropped it down to 40. Hard saying but it could be something with the fuel pressure being all out of wack.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Anytime you just Lose ALL smoke in an instant, first check should be that the map sensor hose is not blown off. If you've got a scanner, check the map sensor input assuming the hose is still connected.

On Edit:

I dropped my fuel pressure from 68 to 60 in an effort to make the A-1000 last, and dropped a TON of tailpipe smoke, and the engine was much more crisp. It also dynoed an additional 60rwhp.....but that might have been the compounds, who knows . It did drop a bunch of smoke and crispen up on the fuel pressure drop though.

Last edited by Charles; 09-13-2007 at 03:37 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Yep what Charles said. It happened to me once..

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the info guys.

02 CC 4x4. AFE stage 2, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, BTS tranny, live-tuned by Jody, AC singles, DI regulated return, Terminator HPOP, DR 4.5" lift & some other stuff...

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Needs more hours per day

What location are you guys using to set your fuel pressure? I've got a mechanical gauge on the regulator, and an electric in-cab gauge with the sending unit on the y-block before the heads. I notice about 4 psi of difference between the two, with the in-cab gauge reading lower.

Jeremy
2000 F-350, CCLB, SRW, 4x4, '04 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Conversion
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans
Eventually: Compound Turbos

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:15 AM

That's because of the pressure drop running it through the heads and what injectors use.

I would always set it on the return, after it has flown through the heads.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Needs more hours per day

I knew why the pressure drop was there....I just wondered which location you guys were using. I assumed it was on the regulator, but you know what assuming can do...

Jeremy
F1 sticks, Evil Twins Dual CP3's, F1 Springs, Helix 2 Cam, ARP headstuds, ED Turbo, Smarty, BTS Trans

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:55 AM

, I feel ya man.

In talking with Dennis, best place is after the heads on the regulator. That's where I would say most everyone with the Aeromotive regulator is running it due to the gauge being on the reg itself.

So IMO, best place is on the reg.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Needs more hours per day

Since that's basically the setup I have, I'll start playing with my FP a little. It's set at 68 on the regulator right now, so I'll drop it to 64 for a week or so then down to 60 and see how she runs.

Jeremy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode