fuel flow sump or 5/8" straw - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

fuel flow sump or 5/8" straw

Is there anyone I can talk to about the benefit of the sump system over a larger draw straw? I am thinking of a new sump system but now that I am looking at it I am not sure that the sump would give that much more then the larger straw. I would love to talk to someone that knows and or have tested it. thanks!

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
4:10 rear
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
Hypertech power programmer 3
I am looking into new parts now, Turbo,sticks,custom tunes and all other supporting mods needed starting with fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: fuel flow sump or 5/8" straw

anyone know about Hi performance fuel systems that I can talk to? I am thinking about making a new fuel tank sump system for better fuel flow and have some very technical questions.

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
I am looking into new parts now, Turbo,sticks,custom tunes and all other supporting mods needed starting with fuel.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 PM
PSN Veteran

i have not ran either but with close to $150 worth of fuel the sump would make me nervous. what are you doing that you need so much flow for?

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
PSN Veteran

A sump isn't going to provide ou with more fuel than a pick up tube. It has many benefits such as gravity pressure if your stock pump cramps out and the ability to use all your fuel if need be. It will also help your pump work less.

542RWHP "E99" True 5" exhuast system/910's/arp head studs/t-500/RR with fuel system/SB pushrods/gated S366 turbo/250-100/HPX/cutom intake/ DI 6 point/ gear head tunes/BTS
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

the gravity pressure is my question. It still has to get the the same spot on the fuelpump so I do not see why it is needed?

As of right now:
2000 F-350 7.3 Dually
6 speed manual
DIY intake
DIY 4" exhaust
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 AM
PSN Veteran

well if you understand how gravity works than i guss you should be able to answer your own question about atmospheric pressure pushing the fuel out the bottom of tank instead of you pump trying to suck it through a straw...i just made a sump and am putting it on sometime in the next week. think about it....get a cup...fill it with your favorite tasty beverage....now get a straw and drink.....now get a beer bong...or make one and fill with your favorite beverage....drink....now what was easier as far as liguid flow???? did i answer your question?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrain45 View Post
well if you understand how gravity works than i guss you should be able to answer your own question about atmospheric pressure pushing the fuel out the bottom of tank instead of you pump trying to suck it through a straw...i just made a sump and am putting it on sometime in the next week. think about it....get a cup...fill it with your favorite tasty beverage....now get a straw and drink.....now get a beer bong...or make one and fill with your favorite beverage....drink....now what was easier as far as liguid flow???? did i answer your question?
Ding ding

542RWHP "E99" True 5" exhuast system/910's/arp head studs/t-500/RR with fuel system/SB pushrods/gated S366 turbo/250-100/HPX/cutom intake/ DI 6 point/ gear head tunes/BTS
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
A sump isn't going to provide ou with more fuel than a pick up tube. It has many benefits such as gravity pressure if your stock pump cramps out and the ability to use all your fuel if need be. It will also help your pump work less.
ability to use all the fuel will be limited as it will collect all the sediment in the fuel tank as well. if your stock pump craps out you will be sol in the long run as the engine is up hill and i would think the pulses of the injectors may be enough to break the vacum suction going...maybe not though.

i know these trucks run a bit in no fuel situations, one example being a drag truck whose owner forgot to flip the pump switch made it all the way to the line before he caught it.

if you four wheel hard it will do no good laying on the ground a few mils back on the trail either...though not many people would really have that problem.
but the op had mentioned skid plate so i was thinking more on his case.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
ability to use all the fuel will be limited as it will collect all the sediment in the fuel tank as well. if your stock pump craps out you will be sol in the long run as the engine is up hill and i would think the pulses of the injectors may be enough to break the vacum suction going...maybe not though.

i know these trucks run a bit in no fuel situations, one example being a drag truck whose owner forgot to flip the pump switch made it all the way to the line before he caught it.

if you four wheel hard it will do no good laying on the ground a few mils back on the trail either...though not many people would really have that problem.
but the op had mentioned skid plate so i was thinking more on his case.

I didn't mean that the gravity would supply enough PSI to run the engine for a sustained period of time, simply that it "could" buy you an extra mile or so if the stocker craps out. Also sediment isn't a concern for me as I run an aftermarket filtering system and in a tight spot being able to use all the fuel could be beneficial. This may not be the case for the op though.

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Subject Matter Expert

sump ftw

Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode