All you transmission brainiacs out there - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
User Error

All you transmission brainiacs out there

I have a 2001 extended cab longbed 4x4 with the 4R100. The truck has about 180,000 miles and the transmission groans just a bit in 1st when i pin it, which tells me it's pretty ragged out. The truck is the "fleet model" and it used to be a City of Boston work truck, which also tells me the trans has been run hard. I'm not that great at rebuilding transmissions, not exactly my cup of tea. But I'm always up for learning something new, so I went to the junkyard and got an old 4R100 from a junk truck. The transmission is burned out, I got it strictly to learn how to rebuild them. Once I can get to where I can rebuild all the parts, and assemble a working transmission, I plan on building it up to replace the one in my truck. I'm currently working with a K&N FIPK II intake, Diamond Eye 5" turbo back exhaust and a TS Performance 140+ 6 position chip. Other than that the engine is stock, but plan on gutting the EBPV from the pedestal, and have rebuilt the turbo already with a Garrett rebuild kit and dropped in an X-Wheel. (only because the old wheel had damage from rubbing the impeller housing.) My question is, when I rebuild this transmission, other than replacing the aluminum sun gear carrier with a steel one from an E4OD, and a Trans-Go Tugger valvebody kit, what considerations should I take as far as aftermarket parts or machining/replacement of current parts for longevity/ power handling capability? I plan on replacing the injectors with a stage 1 set and dropping in a Garrett PowerMax GTP-38 which will probably push me into the 450-500 hp area.

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM
<< wasted fuel >>

Re: All you transmission brainiacs out there

it always good to learn but for trannys in these truck jus go with a bts!

On the hunt for another truck....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
the stryker god

Stage 1's and a 38r will put you in the 350-400 horse range not 450-500.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Old Yeller, REBORN

Kick it up to Stage III's for your hp goals.

And then you probably should either get a BTS or plan on rebuilding your tranny a lot,

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
User Error

the turbo is just an option, since i just rebuilt mine and it works perfectly fine now. and i overestimated the horsepower increase. I'm not necessarily looking to reach a specific number for hp, just the basic mods for some oomf and tugging capability. i would get a BTS if I had the money for one. I dont have 5 large to drop into a transmission yet. I may not be able to build one as good as theirs, but I wanna see if I can make one hold more power and last longer than the factory one. I'm doing this more or less for my learning experience rather than having the best thing on the market. I can put assembled components on my truck all day, but if I can build something or rebuild something I get a better idea of how it works and the theory behind it. I'm not asking for a company's secrets on how to build a killer transmission, unless theyre so willing to share, which im sure theyre not. just the basics that go beyond a valvebody makeover and torque converter that you would do on any transmission rebuild.

I work with people entrusted to maintain and repair $110 million airplanes, but can't change a car battery.

2001 F250, Floyd's Stage 3 trans, GTP38R, aFe Stage 2 intake, TS Performance 6 position, 5" Diamond Eye straight turbo-back, 6" Pro Comp lift, 36" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
PSN Veteran

BTS for any Transmission need for these things! AGREED, Brian and his crew are
awesome.

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
PSN Local

alto red eagle power pack clutches, upgraged center support, triple disc converter, upgraded snap rings, drill plate to v6 specs on the tugger kit, use a 3/8" mod valve or it will shift too hard
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 AM
PSN Local

I've never rebuilt the one's in our trucks but I have the 4l60e and I will tell you there are some serious things you can mess up on. Can you do it, if you at mechanically inclined, probably, should you probably not. There's a reason why bts or whoever get what they get, cost, to build them appropriately. If you are willing to buy the stuff and try it with the understanding it may prove more complex then you had thought, then I would do it. But there are allot of specialty tools and know how to be successful, and what to do if something doesn't work. And your issues may not show their ugly head until 30,000 miles down the road and you ruin your torque convertor while on Thanksgiving trip with the inlaws.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 AM
1997 F350 CCLB

As far as proper tools, your gonna need some special tools for sure. And knowledge for these things is a must. I rebuild transmissions for Ford, and I would recommend just buying a good trans with a warranty on it!! Just my opinion!!

Otherwise good luck Man!! and we will help you as much as possible!

1997 F350 CCLB- Auto Meter guages, 10k mod, IDM mod, BB shim, 2% tint, 6637, TW 6pos chip, 3" dp 5" straight pipe 6" tip, EBPV delete.

1997 F250 ECLB- 3"dp, 3.5" straight, 10k mod- SOLD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
PSN Local

I 2nd that. Now if you still want to do the rebuild yourself maybe find a tranny guy who will do the parts where the specialized tools are needed. Some shops will help a guy like you out. But WARRANTY is very nice after you are done and there's not enough pressure to hold the clutches and you glaze them because a $12.00 part isn't doing its job.
Knowing what I know now a pressure gauge is a lost diagnostic tool. Go with the warranty if you have the means

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode