DP tuners breaking piistons? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
DMG
PSN Newb

DP tuners breaking piistons?

I bought a used DP tuner and put it on my 03 7.3 truck. I have recently read in a couple of places that on the 80 horse econo tune (my favorite) that the cylinder pressures increase too quickly and break pistons. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks, DMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: DP tuners breaking piistons?

Sure... Just search this forum or any other diesel performance forum for blown up DP tuner motors...

I would bet you could read for a month and not get thru it all.

If it has not been reburned in the last few years, I would remove it, smash it with a hammer and cut your losses.

You could send it back to them, I think, hope, they have it all figured out now.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM
PSN Veteran

STAY THE F#*# AWAY FROM THAT ECONO TUNE!!!!!!!!! If you saw the timing curve for DP (Jody) ECONO tune over layed a PHP, Gearhead, Tony tunes you'd understand why motors pop. Now it has supposedly been retuned, this I don't know.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
DP Tuned

i switched to a ts performance from a dp due to my trans going after only 3 months with the dp f5, and jody told me personally on the phone that his tuner does not change anything with trans control which could explain my end result

2001 F350 Lariat SRW 4X4
7.3L, 8.5" Procomp,
37" Toyo M/T's, 20" KMC Diesels
4"Silverline,AFE Magnaforce,
Ts Performance 6 pos
Dieselsite Turbo-Master, BRV+
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Village Idiot

Heat beaks pistons...if anything there might have been a chucked rod or two...
Just my two cents. That was on older tunes, and not just dp..google fuel seven etc,

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I bought a used DP tuner and put it on my 03 7.3 truck. I have recently read in a couple of places that on the 80 horse econo tune (my favorite) that the cylinder pressures increase too quickly and break pistons. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks, DMG
CLICK ME
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm1344t View Post
i switched to a ts performance from a dp due to my trans going after only 3 months with the dp f5, and jody told me personally on the phone that his tuner does not change anything with trans control which could explain my end result
Your tranny. Would not like any recent performance chip combined with 37" tires without a vB and TCmod at the minimum. A ts chip bad all the dp chips do affect the trans to some extent.

The Op asked about cracked pistons...usually the result of ignoring the pyrometer..

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 AM
PSN Local

My truck has over 350k miles, with the last 150k of those being on a DP Tuner Econo tune without any issues whatsoever. I don't baby the truck and beat on it like a rented mule...but I also pay attention to my gauges & EGT's.

Read enough, and you can find problems surrounding any product or practice.

[sarcasm] You know, one time I put air in my tire from an Exxon station,...and I'll be damned if 3 months later if I didn't have a flat tire!! Stay aware from that Exxon air!! [/sarcasm]

Robert
'89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
"stock"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 Ford F250 4x4 PSD
Got Torque?
'03 BMW 530i Sport
Daily duties

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
PSN Local

I have jodys tunes from 2010, my truck is in 80 econ 95% of the time. usually its in that or stock so i appreciate my tunes after driving it in stock for a day... haha. but no complaints about that tune here, put around 40k on it since its been tuned..i dont beat the hel out of the truck, usually its driven nicely, but it definitely has been played with time to time.

Late 99 ECLB XLT 7.3 - DP tunes, 4" straight pipe, DIY intake, gutted EBPV, gutted pedestal, gauges, 08 mirrors, 35s w/ no lift - STOLEN...recovered
97 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3 - beater
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Oh brother......another DP tuner sling fest?

No broken pistons here and been using Jody for.......7 years?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode