Best fuel mods - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Best fuel mods

Been lurking for awhile now, finally joined because i need some advice. Truck is a 02 f350 dually 4x4 auto 4" turbo back exhaust. Just installed an edge cts monitor with pyro. Tonight i will be installing a dptuner f5 chip and afe stage 2 intake. This spring the plan is for stage 1s and terminator 500 hpop. in the mean time id like to improve the fuel system.
Ive been looking at the fuel rail crossover kits out there maimly swamps frx kit for 150$ and dps kit for 500+ . any opionion on these? Heck of a price difference but for what.

Next question is on fuel pumps. seen everything from fass and airdog but also seen reference to dual stock pumps or walbro. Truck is a daily driver tow rig. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM
the stryker god

Re: Best fuel mods

Hutch mod or sump with a regulated return
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Village Idiot

Overly simplified one balances fuel the other regulates it to an exact pressure.
Also larger lines etc. Call as swamps and ask....given 02 with pmr the fx may be fine.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
PSN Local

I'm no expert, just offering my experience. I did the exhaust and intake mods, and the chip. Then I added regulated return. The RR made the truck a little smoother and quieter, but did little for performance for the stock injectors. Still had a lot of cackle from the injectors too.

Then I added dual stock fuel pumps with larger lines, in preparation for larger injectors in the future. (also did bowl delete) Just doing this has greatly improved throttle response and performance. The truck runs great in all chip settings. I also added a Titan tank and sump at same time. This has been a great mod, and has set me up for upgrades in the future. Too soon to tell on reliability of this fuel system, but I like it so far.

2002 F-250 7.3, SRW, 4x4, Lariat, AFE stage 2 intake with Proguard 7, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust 5" tip, Garrett 38r, reg return, TS 6 position chip custom tunes by Chris B. at Truck Source Diesel (TSD), 6.0 trans cooler, EBV delete, 3 pod factory match Autometer gauges with: EGT, Boost, Trans oil...future plans: BTS tranny then hybrid 238/80
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

[QUOTE=2002f-250;1944541]

Then I added dual stock fuel pumps with larger lines, in preparation for larger injectors in the future. (also did bowl delete) Just doing this has greatly improved throttle response and performance. The truck runs great in all chip settings. I also added a Titan tank and sump at same time. This has been a great mod, and has set me up for upgrades in the future. Too soon to tell on reliability of this fuel system, but I like it so far.[/QUOTE

Did you use somebodys kit or was it a diy thing. either way im.liking the sounds of your setup.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM
the stryker god

Stock pump will support over 500 but its nice to have a backup pump.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Old Yeller, REBORN

Airdog and Fass are more for filtration. I think the pump part of my airdog I is only 7psi.

I have the walbro and like it but if it fails, I am toast so the dual stock or dual walbro set up would be nice.

REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in gallery- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, JW VB in 2nd stock tranny, Walbro 392, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straight piped and guages, 6637, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
PSN Local

[quote=barnhartal;1944556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002f-250 View Post

Then I added dual stock fuel pumps with larger lines, in preparation for larger injectors in the future. (also did bowl delete) Just doing this has greatly improved throttle response and performance. The truck runs great in all chip settings. I also added a Titan tank and sump at same time. This has been a great mod, and has set me up for upgrades in the future. Too soon to tell on reliability of this fuel system, but I like it so far.[/QUOTE

Did you use somebodys kit or was it a diy thing. either way im.liking the sounds of your setup.
I used Driven Diesel's regulated return with bowl delete.

As for the dual stockers set-up, my guy at Truck Source Diesel did a little custom set-up. I'll try to get some pics for you soon.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that my original stock fuel pump may have been a little weak (at 130,000 miles or so when I did this mod). The fuel pressure gauge was mounted under the hood, and showed steady 60-65 psi, but I wasn't really able to see the pressure under throttle as I didn't have an in-cab monitor. I have just this past week added an in-cab fuel pressure and HPOP gauge. I replaced my bottom dash piece with one from an F-650 for a flat surface on which to mount the gauges - looks tight.

But as soon as I did this fuel mod, everything just perked up. Maybe a weak original fuel pump got help from the second fuel pump? More volume of fuel? I don't know. But I LIKE IT!

Have to say, the Titan tank with sump is a favorite mod. I LOVE the increased range of 600 miles on a single tank of diesel.

2002 F-250 7.3, SRW, 4x4, Lariat, AFE stage 2 intake with Proguard 7, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust 5" tip, Garrett 38r, reg return, TS 6 position chip custom tunes by Chris B. at Truck Source Diesel (TSD), 6.0 trans cooler, EBV delete, 3 pod factory match Autometer gauges with: EGT, Boost, Trans oil...future plans: BTS tranny then hybrid 238/80
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
PSN Local

if you want to get a better pump id recommend a raptor, you can adjust it based on the mods of your truck. Only downside is it is a bit noisy when you crank it up. you could do a couple simple things like getting a stronger fuel bowl spring and/or shimming it. also can take out your rail plugs on the inlet side and drill them out a bit. wont see much performance gains from it but it will help hold fuel pressure on the top end.
Froggys diesel performance does a couple vids on youtube on how to do the DIY stuff

99.5 f-350 6spd ts with live tunes raptor 150 fuel supply 76mm sledge turbo 300/200 single shots stealth hpop forged rods modded fuel bowl and rails arp studs stacks custom intake custom driveshaft billet pinion yoke custom built pulling clutch watermeth injection hypermax up-pipes hypermax turbo pedistal hypermax intercooler delete
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
PSN Local

also if your towing all the time it wouldnt hurt to give it a lil shot of water/meth

99.5 f-350 6spd ts with live tunes raptor 150 fuel supply 76mm sledge turbo 300/200 single shots stealth hpop forged rods modded fuel bowl and rails arp studs stacks custom intake custom driveshaft billet pinion yoke custom built pulling clutch watermeth injection hypermax up-pipes hypermax turbo pedistal hypermax intercooler delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode