Opinions on Stock 7.3 liter upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Opinions on Stock 7.3 liter upgrade

Buying a 2000 F350 Crew Cab 7.3 liter 4WD with automatic trans and 116,000 miles. Truck is stock with the exception of leveling kit upfront. Prior to purchasing I noticed oil filled valley and pointed it out to seller. He had HPOP replaced and has reciepts, warranty etc. All of my previous trucks have had mild performance upgrade when I bought them. One had a diablo switch, one had wastegate and turbo mods, I have never had a bone stock 7.3. I am worried that I have grown accustomed to the modified performance feel. I am trying to read extensively as to my options out there in the event I am unhappy with the acceleration or fuel mileage. I am overwhelmed and realize exactly how behind the times I am in the performance world. I don't know half of what everyone is talking about with upgrades. What would y'all suggest if I want moderate power increases without sacrificing the long life expectancy I specifically seeked out the 7.3 for. Simple is good, something I could do in the driveway is best, but if the design and reliabilty of the modification has a proven background I wouldn't mind paying someone to professionally install. I am not dragracing the college kids anymore, and I am not pulling loads daily down the interstate. I have a medium sized boat I pull in the summer months and a car hauler I pull every couple of years. Mostly this is my daily driver that I want to drive for the rest of my life (who has ever purchased a truck using that justification?). Just fishing for ideas right now. Thanks, if you read all the way to this rediculously long winded question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Opinions on Stock 7.3 liter upgrade

Ts chip with tunes for stage ones, stage one injectors and a 38r turbo and be done.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

What is a TS chip? Where would one read up on and price?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
PSN Veteran

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
OBS Stroker

I recently bought a low mileage stock 7.3 and I'm loving it compared to my modified sig truck. The stocker is quiet, smooth, and will still cruise at 80 mph. I was disappointed the other day when I hooked onto a heavy trailer, but it still did the job at 60 mph.
I'm starting to consider just an exhaust, intake and a tune instead of all out like I had planned when I got it a few months ago.

1997 F250 ECSB, 140Kmiles, 3.55's, 5 spd, Sht throw, S.B. dd clutch, Rosewood 238/100, Adrenaline, S468, irate mount, ARP studs, 910 springs, smith bros. p/r, 4" MBRP, AFE Stg 2, BDP tunes, Termi Scan gauge, Swamps IDM, intercooled, BDP fuel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250, CCSB, swamps idm, 3" dp, 3.5" cat delete, 38gal rear tank.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodge View Post
I recently bought a low mileage stock 7.3 and I'm loving it compared to my modified sig truck. The stocker is quiet, smooth, and will still cruise at 80 mph. I was disappointed the other day when I hooked onto a heavy trailer, but it still did the job at 60 mph.
I'm starting to consider just an exhaust, intake and a tune instead of all out like I had planned when I got it a few months ago.
My plan for my 02.....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have a tendency to go "overboard". I am thinking if I designate the goal then I will have a hard time deviating in the process. My plan is gages (boost, trans and EGT) then 4" exhaust from turbo back and last but not least the TS chip with stock tunes. Those stickys at the top of the forum were great, I read 5-6 chip ones and several of the power for noobs ones. If i turn my daily driver into a project I will be sad. Unfortunately, I can't do the hutch mod only because I cannot take the chance of getting it apart then not being able to get it back together. I wish I could buy the modified pickup already complete. Thanks.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscayne View Post
What would y'all suggest if I want moderate power increases without sacrificing the long life expectancy I specifically seeked out the 7.3 for. Simple is good, something I could do in the driveway is best, but if the design and reliabilty of the modification has a proven background I wouldn't mind paying someone to professionally install.
I'd recommend a Banks "Stinger Plus" performance kit.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Village Idiot

I noticed oil filled valley .....keep an eye on fuelbowl drain orings i am on my second set,
also check ball joints, bearings, waterpump..sway bar down links...all went at 116 +/- 10k on my truck.

regulated return..t500 or adrenaline hpop. chip , intake afe, ford ais ,s&b & others and exhuast of choice mrbp, magna, motoblue , silverline etc...
banks stinger kit is quality, safe...but can cost a bit more.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Coal Train Diesel

6637 exhaust and Ts. That will wake up your 7.3 just did all of this to mine

01 f350 dually CCLB, 7in lift, 6637 zoodad, 4.5" stacks, Isspro gauges, PHP Hyrda, ww2, industrial injectors 180/40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode