Manual to Auto... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Manual to Auto...

Well, I had to buy another Master/Slave today because it didn't want to go into gear easily. After about 10 or so of them, I've had enough. Begging this thing to stop eating the plastic clutch components got old over 6 years ago.

That and the complete inability to make any decent effort at the track without A) Running a single disc that actually drives well, and shifts fast daily (without hosing tranny syncros and input shaft bearings) but is a total whore in even an attempt at launching with 1000+ft/lbs trying to rip it apart at the first hint at chattering. Or B) Running a dual disc, and listening to it destroying your input shaft bearings everyday in traffic, rebuilding the tranny about every year cause it's toast and just generally getting resistance everytime you want to bang the next gear, but not literally BANG the next gear like the dual disc would.

You either drive a manual tranny like a grandpa and it lives a long life (as I have since putting in the new one, [3.04 sec 60' ]) or you drive like you want, and replace sycros and feel it about to drop another syncro about every other oilchange.

So I am going to go ahead and go with a 4R100 full manual with joystick control over shifting.

Full Manual Auto.

I started this thread to see if anyone had any good ideas about manual shifting the 4R100, as well as for anyone who might have questions about swapping either from manual to auto, or auto to manual as I have done a good bit of looking into this in years past, and many will have good insight into some other aspects I'm sure.

This goes for you purely auto guys too. You don't have to let the PCM do the shifting you know. You can joystick shift it when you want, then click it to full auto mode, and sit back and sip coffee like you do now and it will bang the gears for you just like normal.

And if anyone is interested, it is likely that I will soon have this to get rid of:

Flywheel, Brand new ceramic clutch in box (good to 1000+ft/lbs), Brand new Master/Slave in box, Complete Clutch Pedal assembly, Gearstick with knob, Gearstick rubber boot with screws, BD short throw shifter (if you want it) AWA3 PCM and a parts Chassis harness for manual tranny trucks (I say parts because I had to replace the fusable links with standard fuses long ago). Still works fine, but it isn't "stock". And of course a ZF6 speed manual tranny that I bought brand new (not reman) that now has 60-70k miles on it.

$2000 takes it. I just need the funds for the 4R100 core and the Stand-alone Tranny controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:21 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S
Re: Manual to Auto...

Looks out Charlie wants to turn some heads at the track. I say cool.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Donkey pumper

Send a message via AIM to HeeHaw

how much does a stand alone tranny controller run?

1964 706 IH with a 05 Cummins motor Smartyfied.

"I'm spitting in your face cause I'm a dominating you!" -Hank 3

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

7 or 800 if they're the same as they were a few years ago when I first priced it.

150 for the 4R100 harness, so probably 900 total. Then get a joystick or paddles (stupid on a truck IMO) and you've damn near got it.

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html

That's the one I'm going with. Turns out its 850 with harness.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
7 or 800 if they're the same as they were a few years ago when I first priced it.

150 for the 4R100 harness, so probably 900 total. Then get a joystick or paddles (stupid on a truck IMO) and you've damn near got it.

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html

That's the one I'm going with. Turns out its 850 with harness.

Wonder if the're EVER gonna finish the 5R110 controller.
I would love to have that trans in my truck.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Bolt Pattern?
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Adapter?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like a cool project. When I got my truck I searched for the manual because of the cost associated with building an auto that would last. Times have changed and I now know of John Wood who is only a couple hours away. A manual shift auto would be really cool, gotta keep an eye on this thread.

As an aside mine shifts tough to, what are you saying about the master/slave? Is this just a high hp problem or a crappy stock Ford parts problem? Is there a thread on this so I don't fill up your thread with dis
tractions?

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

No, it's an OEM plastic pos system problem. I have tried everything short of a complete redesign using wilwood parts or similar.

FWIW, the chevy ZF6 does NOT use plastic parts on the hydraulics.

And no, a properly done ZF6 does not shift at all even remotely hard. If it doesn't shift like silk it's screwed up. 90% of them are, and nobody is the wiser to the fact that the OEM valeo clutch diaphram and the OEM pos plastic throwout assembly is JUNK!

Mine engages about one inch from the top. That took about 3 years worth of working with my clutch guy to accomplish. And you CANNOT run even ONE psi more plate load, as the damn junk isn't even strong enough for the STOCK plate load.......

Can you tell how unimpressed and frustrated I am about the pos stock clutch setup? If not for that, I'd run a manual tranny without issue. I could increase the plate load and run a single disc clutch without issue. But at stock plate load, even with only 3 ceramic pucks per side 1100ft/lbs is ALLLL I can get out of this clutch. And you'd better not let it start to slip or it's off to the races with rpm to redline in .0002 ms and you've got a smoky pile of smoldering sh#t for a clutch. Sub 900ft/lbs it's gravy with a good clutch. Anything more and no clutch material on the planet is going to durably hold at such dismal plate load. Try and bump it up even a little.....and POOF, there went the worthless master/slave again.

It's hideous.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Don't sugar coated tell me how you really feel.

Mine is tough to get into gear, especially when loaded. I figured it needed adjusting, anywhere I can go to find some good info on how to adjust it properly? Did you look at using Wilwood parts, or was it even worth it?

I like the idea of a manual shift auto. With the BUILT autos how well do they hold compared to a manual? I really stayed away from the auto because of the reliability issues I read of and the cost of building one that would last. Didn't know the hydraulics were crap.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode