Headers and bolts? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Headers and bolts?

Just wanted to hear some feedback about any aftermarket headers, and whether or not you have problems with the bolts backing out?
Dont have em yet, but everyhting else I ever put headers on the bolts were bad about loosening up and backing out.

Also, looking for feedback on any other pros-cons to adding headers vs. stock manifolds. Fitment issues, heat under hood, spoolup, leaky gaskets, corrosion.
Thinking about getting a set while the motors out.
Thanks, Scott

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Headers and bolts?

i think stage 8 has them, i've got my sema book i'll look through it.

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Nobody has any input here? I'm not looking for a new brand name, or anything, just input on whats already being run, bad or good.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris View Post
Nobody has any input here? I'm not looking for a new brand name, or anything, just input on whats already being run, bad or good.
Call Dave at Swamps. They use s.s bolts with lock washers on the exhaust manifold and Charles has reported the complete absence of problems since he switched to these bolts. Before, I think they were breaking or backing out. Swamps sources them from Fastenal IIRC.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris View Post
Just wanted to hear some feedback about any aftermarket headers, and whether or not you have problems with the bolts backing out?
Dont have em yet, but everyhting else I ever put headers on the bolts were bad about loosening up and backing out.

Also, looking for feedback on any other pros-cons to adding headers vs. stock manifolds. Fitment issues, heat under hood, spoolup, leaky gaskets, corrosion.
Thinking about getting a set while the motors out.
Thanks, Scott
Don't take this the wrong, but if your asking about pros to buying them, you probably don't need them.
There are no cons to our version period, if the person installing them can install the stock manifolds correctly.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM
HP Junky

Got any pictures of those headers all coated and looking pretty David?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
Got any pictures of those headers all coated and looking pretty David?
Maybe these are it?

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Village Idiot

the di headers seemed to be decent from what danny said.
iirc the difference you will notice might be a slightly lower egt.

seems there are two types of headers one has unequal leghths the others are equal...dave could tell you more about them ,

They are not cheap , and not major power makers...
to me they fall in to the anything that helps catagory.

meaning i would buy them after
injectors, turbos, big oil , IC, and a fluiddamper.
but if I was looking for over 450 rwhp and had
any show quality truck, they would be on my want list
...kinda like new billet intakes, maybe better.

just my 2 cent.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Subject Matter Expert

Those are sexy. Plus the sound of it, that's damn near worth half the price of the cost of them. I'd trim a little of my fender liner away just so i could show everyone!

Stock
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

No offense , but I fully understand the concept, and what they do. I was more looking for info on actual benefits people have seen on their trucks. I dont want the sales pitch, or the my buddies truck thing, I want actual numbers, problems, and how great they are. You know, how bad is the corrosion over time, how do they fit , how bad are they to get a good seal to the head. And I know my info doesnt have it all there, but I already have a fully built engine sitting on the stand (with crowers, and a girdle, and head studs, and 340cc hybrids, and new billet intakes, and...), I already have made in excess of 550 hp on the old one, I already have a modded H2E, and I got a blue bottle to fill the gaps. Understand, this is a Daily driver I want around 600 hp at the wheels on fuel, and I want it to not have crap falling off and getting loose on me. The DI were the ones I was looking at, and they are very nice. Dave you got a good product, I just want to see what people who are running them have to say.

Sorry again, long day at work, time to go to the shop and get BACK to work.
Thanks for the replies.
Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode