Crank Case Vent Kit ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question Crank Case Vent Kit ?

I could use some education about the Crank Case Vent Kit.
I've been advised this is something I should do (by a sales person of course). How does it work, whatís the reason to do it, do I need this. Any input, Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Crank Case Vent Kit ?

it vents the crank case to the atmosphere instead of back into the intake, keeps all the oil out of the intake and intercooler. i actually spent about $7 and did it myself.
you need:
4" exhaust pipe (4-5" in length)
1- 90* heater hose elbow - i think it's 5/8"
1- straight 5/8" hose union
a few feet (4-6') of heater hose
3 hose clamps
All you do is flip the crank case vent on the engine around. Clamp the elbow to the CCV, clamp the union into the other end of the elbow, then clamp the hose on the elbow and route it straight down under the truck. A lot of people use catch cans and such, but mine dumps straight under the truck like on the t444e.

2002 F250
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:56 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

You simply replace the Black plastic piece that is in the intake tract with a piece of 4" exhaust tube about 4" long (SS if you want but even PVC will work) Then on the drivers side valve cover, remove the "dog house" and flip it around. This makes the outlet on the back of the motor. Run 3/4 hose from there over the brake booster, down the frame to where ever you want it to vent too. It will puff out a bit of vapors and on some trucks a little oil.

Some build a catch can of some kind, but I get about one drip overnight out of mine... Nothing to worry about. IMHO...

The CCV mod will keep oil vapors from soaking your IC boots, making them blow off, keeps oil vapors from building up in your IC which reduces its efficiency, and just keeps the motor looking cleaner.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

typing at the same time, same response...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks All, If I want to DIY this myself and I want to make some sort of catch can, do you have any ideas for a catch can ?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Or am I just looking for trouble doing the catch can, increase crankcase pressure leading to oil leaks from seals? Is that why alot of guy's just run an open line?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Laces Out

either way you'll be fine. catch cans are for those who care about the environment.

08' F250 4x4 w/ 3:55's
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
PSN Veteran

you can pretty much anything - water bottle, coke can etc. but i tried to keep it as close to INTL's specs as possible, so i just dropped it out right under.

2002 F250
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Corona Killa

This reminded me that I need to do this mod I hate having to clean all the oil and dirt that collects on the IC pipes.

2007 DODGE 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 5.9 LITER CUMMINS
2002 FORD F-250 CREW CAB 4X4 POWERSTROKE
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

Do a catch can that has two ports on the top. One with a pickup tube to near the bottom and one right off the top. Pump the crank case gas into the one with the tube and have the one at the top re-connected to your intake system somewhere pre turbo.

The can will catch all the oil, but you'll still have positive crank-case pressure.

(Since having to take my crank-case hose out of the intake track for now I have started puking oil from many places that have never leaked before)

I ran a -10 straight down the driver's side valvecover, over the fram and stopped about 10 inches from the top of the leafspring. It is obviously building pressure as the leaking is strong. Like, tiny oil specs on the tailgate kinda strong. And it's not from what's coming out of the vent tube.

I plan to run it back into the intake system after a catch can grabs the oil vapor.

Not to mention that it smells like sh#t, and that fog surrounding the front left fender at stoplights gets some strange, "You might want to park that thing before it leaves you walking" kinda looks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode