DP-Tuner In: What should I expect for boost and EGT? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

DP-Tuner In: What should I expect for boost and EGT?

I installed my Pyrometer hookup for my Scangauge on Wednesday, and BTS valvebody and DP-Tuner chip (No-Start/Stock/80Ecodes/Decel/60Tcodes) today, and have a few questions about what I should expect out of this setup:

* Stock, I could never get the boost over 15.5psi. I haven't wrung it out fully with the Pyro installed, but it seems to hit a temp ceiling around 1150F at full throttle. In 80E, I've had to keep my eye on the road, but with the annunciator set to 1250F, it lights up within a second or two of flooring it, and floats around the 1300F-1500F range for the second before I get out of it. The most boost I ever noticed during that second was 19.5psi.

Is that normal temp with that gauge and this setup? What temps and boost should I see under full-throttle with 80E on an otherwise-stock 7.3L Excursion?

* At part-throttle, I see 700-800F; is that too high? What temps should I see cruising on the highway?

Finally, if this is way out of line, aside from going with a 6637 and checking for leaks, is there anything else I should check? What should the back-pressure sensor read under different conditions, and would a bad one of those get the temps this high?

I do like the added power, but I'd be bummed if I can't use full-throttle on the 80E setting.

'00 7.3L Excursion, Stock Intake and Exhaust
DP-Tuned:80E/Decel/60T, BTS Valvebody, 31-row 6.0 Trans Cooler, RS9000X, Hellwig Rear Swaybar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Re: DP-Tuner In: What should I expect for boost and EGT?

I can hit 25 psi in 80e stock should be about 18 psi.As far as egts i run about 600 @ crusiing speed and never over 1150 wot.I have strate pipe a 6637 intake.I hope this helps ,some one smarter than me will chime in soon Iam sure.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

You need to upgrade your intake and exhaust; that is why your boost numbers could be low, and your egt's are high.

I can hit 25 psi in 80 econ easily, and maybe 1200 deg if I stay in it for a while.

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Hoosier daddy!

When you say you hit 25 psi easily, is that mashing the giddy-up pedal from a stop or what? I have 6637 intake setup and 4" back to 5" exhuast and I've never seen 25psi as far as I know...

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 PM

What kind of pyro did you install? Is it pre-turbo?

Like was said before, you really need to upgrade your intake and at least get rid of the muffler on your exhaust.

Other than that, check for boost leaks. 19.5psi isn't nearly enough...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: DP-Tuner In: What should I expect for boost and EGT?

You can look at what I,ve done to my truck and use that as a idea of what temps should be with a exhaust and AFE II intake, In 80e I can hit 25# no problem 120r 26 27 . I came into work this morning air temp was around 65 70 I believe running about 70ish on flat ground I think EGT,s were 600 650. hit a hill and up to 750 800, but it go back down in a hurry once you flatened back out. A good 4" exhaust or as Greg said a straight pipe on a stock one will help with your EGTs good intake as well. Have to remember get all the air you can to the turbo and get rid of the waste = lower EGTS. I think I even have a leaky upie to boot.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin'_Man View Post
When you say you hit 25 psi easily, is that mashing the giddy-up pedal from a stop or what? I have 6637 intake setup and 4" back to 5" exhuast and I've never seen 25psi as far as I know...
Do you have an overboost eliminator? If not, perhaps the PCM is defueling.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:49 AM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: DP-Tuner In: What should I expect for boost and EGT?

Yeah good thought HH I forgot about that, Could be he's hitting the cut off if all he can muster is 18 or 19 lbs boost.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 AM
OBS junkie

I've noticed the same things everyone else has, 25-26lbs is easy to hit with 80e. Don't have a boost fooler so I don't know what it would do if I stayed in it in 120r but I know it will set the CEL for overboost around 26lbs+ if you keep it floored.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The pyro sensor is pre-turbo.

I will give a 6637 a shot, and check for boost leaks. I had asked about running the 80E with a stock exhaust, and others said they had, so I'd like to see what temps they're seeing.

One thing is for sure; I am glad I've followed the advice to go with gauges before any upgrade!

'00 7.3L Excursion, Stock Intake and Exhaust
DP-Tuned:80E/Decel/60T, BTS Valvebody, 31-row 6.0 Trans Cooler, RS9000X, Hellwig Rear Swaybar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode