Banks PowerPack? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Got 'Er Did

Banks PowerPack?

i know there is alot of hate for banks
and i know that you can get more power out there
but for someone that is strictly looking for safe, constant horsepower
with non adjustablity for just driving and towing and doesnt want to worry about egts and trans temps
is the banks powerpack really that overpriced for what you get? (intercooler, turbo housing, exhaust, tunes, etc?)
this is the strictly towing combo not there race kit

2009 Mustang GT Premium 5spd
BBK Long Tube Headlers and Off Road X Pipe
waiting for the squeeze
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 F350 Crew Long 4x4 Dually
Powerstroke
Auto
4 inch MBRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Re: Banks PowerPack?

Yes it is... its priced at what about $3200? For about that you could have a intake, exhaust, chip and gauges... maybe throw in a ATS housing or a 1.00 exhaust hosing and be money and HP ahead....

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #3 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Lurker...

it's too much for what you get...

add top-notch mods and have the tuning reflect your level of safety...

2003 F-350 Super Duty

post #4 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 AM

Banks builds good quality stuff, but it's way overpriced for the power you get. Not sure what they want for the kit. DP Tuner can certainly write a chip that is safe and drives and tows well. Price out the parts you want and compare to the Banks price and quality.

I wouldn't bother myself, you can get more power with less money elsewhere.
post #5 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Banned

I think most will forget that a lot of what you are buying is the lack of a requirement to know everything about the components, temperatures and such to make it work.

You simply take it out of the box and put it on. Sure most of us could hand-pick a package that would out tow that package, and still be reliable daily driven without any worry for overheating when towing.

But how many of you guys have replaced things like trannies because they couldn't handle that wonderful "extra" power over the banks package?

I'm sure any number of these guys can and do put together bang up packages that would knock the socks off of the banks package, but you probably woln't find and intercooler in there anywhere, and if you do what happens to the price then?

Sure, you don't "need" to upgrade it.......but you'll be limited more on the duration of your full power operation too.

There's a good bit of quality in the banks stuff. And it is priced higher than you can get the same thing if you know what to look for.....IF, you know, if you don't that is where that extra money goes. NOT having to know everything about everything on the truck in order to put together a durable efficient package from scratch.

This is coming from a guy that still has never bought an intake, or exhaust system for his truck from anyone.

And I can still see the worth of the powerpack. If you don't want the cooler and such, they have lower level systems as well. Or, you can just buy the chip.

Their stuff is quality in my experience. VERY high quality. Many others stuff is just as good or in may cases actually better......but many others are JUNK as well.

That is much of the worth of the Banks stuff. You don't need a junk filter like you do when you wade out into the mass of performance diesel offerings out there. Nor do you need a degree in diesel engineering.

Two Cents.

Last edited by Charles; 09-06-2007 at 02:18 PM.
post #6 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
PSN Local

I felt the same way as you. I did a lot of reading/research before I bought it, and yeah it is one of the more pricey ones out there. What sold me was a couple of things: First- as Charles said they do the thinking for you. Second- everything is made to work WITH each other. Dyno tested and tweaked to get the best and safest results. Third- Banks has been around for a long time and (I feel) he knows what he's doing. Forth- (and this is one of the things that sold me)NO BLACK SMOKE! Black smoke is just wasted unburned fuel! Alot of other after market packages just add more fuel to produce more power, which also adds heat, which can do damage! Banks theory is to get more cold dense AIR into and out of the engine. And man you feel the results. Fifth- is the company that stands behind the product. They have excellent sales, and tech reps. And very detailed install instructions. The hardest thing I found about the install was removing the V-band clamp from the rear of the turbo housing against the firewall. After installing it and a few black stretch marks (before I replaced my tires) and the last camping trip we took - towing at like 80+ mph without even realizing it. All that and a bit better MPG, I guess you can say - yeah I'm way happy with the POWER PACK! Don't get me wrong the other stuff is good too if you lookin to do more. but I'm like you I'm not building a drag truck, I just tow trailers.
I have pics to show the add-ons. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600656468619/
post #7 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

I got a Banks chip back when I got my first diesel, along with their exhaust and exhaust brake. I thought it was the #### for a time. The exhaust brake eneded up crapping out but the chip is ok. I actually got a decent deal on the chip; $400, cash. The exhaust and brake were definately overpriced though. Shame on me for not checking.

Main reason I will never buy a Banks product ever again? That company is nothing but a LYING marketing machine. This is what sealed it for me: http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-dragrace.cfm

This is the part that really gets to me:

So how did it run? The best run was 12.167 seconds at 115.10mph. That was good enough to make it the quickest diesel pickup at the event. In essence, it was a drag racing test session for the Sidewinder, and we're not even close to satisfied. We learned something else too: Banks' business competitors like to talk, but when it came time to actually run at a sanctioned event, they were nowhere to be found.

Both of those statements in bold are complete lies.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #8 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
PSN Veteran

I am with Elmo, Gale Banks is an @$$ and a liar. I have posted in a few threads about my experience with the engineers and sales staff at Banks as well as the friendship that was destroyed because of Banks lies. They told my buddy with the Duramax that the Big Hoss bundle they put on gave him 500hp, won't hurt his trans ever, won't void his warranty, and they also told him that GM contracted Banks to design the Duramax for them.

The engineer and sales guy I was talking with thru email about the BHA, and a few other things told me that the 7.3L was a dead platform and noone was making anything for it. The engineer told me it was a waste of time and the only performance platform out there was the Duramax. He also told me that Banks compares their products to all their competitors and they have never found any competitor that can produce more power than them in any diesel, including the 7.3L.

Any company willing to lie about these things so easily will not get my business. Unfortunately I already had the Banks Boost tubes on my truck when I found this out or I would have looked elsewhere.

As for packages, call Dennis at ITP, call David at DI, call Brian at BWD, call Elite, or if you want a high profile company call BullyDog. Any of these companies can and will put together a package for you, and when you go with ITP, BWD, DI, or Elite you get a truly custom package that truly matches up to your needs, not a compromise.

People like to brag about Banks ability to make safe power and how they are the only ones, I would love to see the "smoke boys" post up confirmation that they can and will put together packages that will match EVERY aspect of anything Banks sells. Brian, Dennis, Dave, post up and put this to rest please.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
post #9 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Yes, many companies can put together quality packages.......but many, many, many more can not, although they still try.

DPS comes to mind.

And I think when Banks is reffering to making power they are talking about their own, all out trucks, not the pidly stuff they sell to the public for towing.

That Dakota ran "okay". Heck, I bet my truck would run two hundred and FIFTY mph on those flats......

IF, my truck ever made enough power to push that kind of speed, it would have complete nuclear meltdown before it made it. That's the point against what most people are stating as more power from other chips. It's apples and oranges. Power you can stay in till the sun sets, vs power that in 45 seconds is going to start making abstract artwork out of your pistons.

Think about what program you'd be in to run wide open throttle for 2 hours.......... now what power does That program make?

Mine makes 300rwhp in that program. A far cry from the 544 isn't it?
post #10 of 141 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 PM
A Ghost these days.

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_matt Send a message via Skype™ to mad_matt

I know of a couple of shops that can put together a real nice package for the $$$$$ you'd send banks and that could include a new turbo, new CAC full exhaust, airbox upgrade and a chip with 3 or 4 programs. Not to mention it will lay down more reliable power than the Banks crap ever will.

Got Boost?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slightly modded 01 F350 CC SB 4X4