DP Tuner with Ford AIS? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

DP Tuner with Ford AIS?

I'm asking this question on all three forums I participate in.

As you know I recently went thru some major PMS with my truck to include a new BTS trans and live tuning from Jody.

Jody thought I'd trip my air filter light while we were "getting on it", I mean live tuning it. Well we didn't, however since returning home and driving like I usually do, I tripped the light once and my filter minder is always maxed out when I check it after a drive. I'm also starting to get more smoke than I first did. I'm not interested in throwing diesel fuel money out my exhaust pipe.

Jody thought I'd need the AIS fender sleeve, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut into the AIS housing.

Has anyone who has installed the fender sleeve had any issues, concerns or regrets?

I don't want the Tymar 6637 mod because of under hood temps and I like the filtering capabilities of the AIS.

BTW, I usually drive in 80E around town, 60Hwy 100 Perf and 120 Race depending on whether I'm in a town or on the highway.

Thanks as always!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: DP Tuner with Ford AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF CCM View Post

As you know I recently went thru some major PMS with my truck to include a new BTS trans and live tuning from Jody.

Jody thought I'd trip my air filter light while we were "getting on it", I mean live tuning it. Well we didn't, however since returning home and driving like I usually do, I tripped the light once and my filter minder is always maxed out when I check it after a drive. I'm also starting to get more smoke than I first did. I'm not interested in throwing diesel fuel money out my exhaust pipe.

Jody thought I'd need the AIS fender sleeve, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut into the AIS housing.

Has anyone who has installed the fender sleeve had any issues, concerns or regrets?

I don't want the Tymar 6637 mod because of under hood temps and I like the filtering capabilities of the AIS.

BTW, I usually drive in 80E around town, 60Hwy 100 Perf and 120 Race depending on whether I'm in a town or on the highway.

Thanks as always!
No worries with the fender sleeve mod here after one long record snowy winter.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 AM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: DP Tuner with Ford AIS?

I was about to say, I have a AFE stage II and with all the snow we had up here , I never had any problems. If you see how I did the zoodad mod you would wonder how it stays dry, . Double H is right we got plenty of snow last winter thats for sure.

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 AM
PSN Veteran

I did the AIS w/ fender sleeve, ran it through a winter, and went the route of the oem 6.oh intake. I didnt have any issues with excess dirt, grime etc, I just didnt like the restriction it caused. The 6oh folk say not to change the filter upto 500hp ish, so I figured it would be a good solution. Havent had any issues since, and only ONE time has the filterminder gone even to half way, usually its less then a quarter. However, IMO I would not run the AIS WITHOUT a fendersleeve AND zoodad mod, those babies need as much help in the airflow department as they can get, least in my nearly worthless stock injectored oppinion.

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF CCM View Post

... I tripped the light once and my filter minder is always maxed out when I check it after a drive. I'm also starting to get more smoke than I first did. ...BTW, I usually drive in 80E around town, 60Hwy 100 Perf and 120 Race depending on whether I'm in a town or on the highway.

Thanks as always!
After installing my 38r and Jody tunes mine was doing the exact same thing. I have the 60t,80e,120 also. I did the fender mod but I actually used a 4" hole saw instead of a 3-1/2" cutting it about a 1/4" to the left of where the instructions say and it fit. It was close but it fit. I used black heavy duty duct tape to help secure the foam sleave ....just in case. I have not pulled the minder once. I have no water problems either. It is slightly louder but I was used to it the next day and cant even remember the difference. Its been 5k miles and tape and foam are in the same place.

No regrets.

2010 6.4 LB CC 4x4

ROLL TIDE!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 AM
PSN Local

i got the AIS and did the fender sleeve, i gotta tell you when i pulled the foam sleeve out of the box i was going what the Heck, but as hoaky as i thought it looked it does work and i dont pull the filter minder hardly at all.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Great input! Many thanks to all!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
PSN Veteran

the filter minder that comes with the AIS is also more sensitive, I ran one for over 150k, both with and without the sleeve and zoodad, I would do both, and change out the minder from the stock box, .02

E '99 F-350 CC LB, ZF6, IDP -T4i Mount, Comp. Fuel System, , Reg. Return, Comp Valve springs, ARP's, DI P- Rods, Adrenaline HPOP, Isspro's, Detroit Tru Trac

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoredr View Post
... i gotta tell you when i pulled the foam sleeve out of the box i was going what the Heck, but as hoaky as i thought it looked it does work and i dont pull the filter minder hardly at all.
. I agree. I was actually a little pissed off. It looks like two beer coolers sliced open and glued together. But it worked and I did not feel like take the time to duplicate it.

2010 6.4 LB CC 4x4

ROLL TIDE!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Village Idiot

lol good discription.
thats what it looked like in the pic I saw.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode