Head work opinions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Head work opinions

Just curious and want to see the opinions. I saw this pic of heads and the CC was worked and saw a few comments about them but never was answered into detail if it was good or bad or why. Any opinions?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...63526373yblWZk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 AM
HRT Performance

Re: Head work opinions

URL doesn't work.

Head work is a great idea and so are combustion chambers. BUT there are right ways and wrong ways of doing combustion chambers. I know mine will be very different on the next set I do

Jason

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Laces Out

i know nothing about machine work..so what the hell does that do ?

08' F250 4x4 w/ 3:55's

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...63526373yblWZk

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I fixed it I think........it works for me I also inserted a pic but the link is a much larger pic

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
i know nothing about machine work..so what the hell does that do ?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 AM
PSN Veteran

It looks to me like they were trying to make the heads flow more air at lower valve lift's like .050" to .200" by unshrouding the valves. In doing so it also lowered the compression which is done pretty frequently anyhow.

This is a typical procedure when porting a set of high performance (gas) heads, but you normally don't have that much material that needs removed. Consequently the gains in air flow at lower lifts could be quite substantial on the head pictured. You need to put it on a flow bench before and after to know for sure though.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 AM
HRT Performance

Unshrouding the valves are a good thing and increase flow a little bit. That is a mild version of what I have envisioned for my next set of heads.

And since we are all talking about this head. I don't understand why everyone thinks the fire ring grooves need to be in the head. Replacing the fire rings with the motor still in the truck would be impossible that way. With the grooves in the block its only a headache. That is assuming you make sure the rings stay seated in the grooves after you drop the heads on

Jason

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 AM
<<HowdoIgetridofthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodTractor View Post

And since we are all talking about this head. I don't understand why everyone thinks the fire ring grooves need to be in the head. Replacing the fire rings with the motor still in the truck would be impossible that way. With the grooves in the block its only a headache. That is assuming you make sure the rings stay seated in the grooves after you drop the heads on

Jason
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

But I always thought if you just grooved one side head or block (I'm not sure if it matters) that was O-ringed and if the groove was cut in both that was fireringed. which seems like it would hold better.

02 F250 4x2 362rwhp/760rwtq
13.942 @ 98.44mph
Dp Tuner
Van Turbo w/ Wicked Wheel
Swamps 175/146

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
John Wayne doesnt care where you watch his movies, and beer doesnt care where the refirgerator is.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler View Post
It looks to me like they were trying to make the heads flow more air at lower valve lift's like .050" to .200" by unshrouding the valves. In doing so it also lowered the compression which is done pretty frequently anyhow.

This is a typical procedure when porting a set of high performance (gas) heads, but you normally don't have that much material that needs removed. Consequently the gains in air flow at lower lifts could be quite substantial on the head pictured. You need to put it on a flow bench before and after to know for sure though.
It did help, we flowed them before and after....its my old motor and pic, I just saw the guy selling the engine and a few comments were made about the head work and just wanted to get it out in the open and get some opinions, just for $hits and giggles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode