exaust noise cutting out and looseing power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

exaust noise cutting out and looseing power

I cant figure it out and its killing me! after about half throttle in any gear the truck quiets out and the exaust noise cuts out and looses power. The first thing that would come to mind was either running out of fuel or oil. i put a lift pump on and did tank mods and that seemd to help alot then checkd the high pressure oil pump ICR and ICP everything was good and the really funny thing is that it has been doing it on and off ever since i had the truck ( completely stock - modded ) after i had my injectors done and got the truck back it ran amazing and heard my exaust throughout full acceleration then the truck went back to cutting out again after a week. ive sent the injectors out to be flow tested and everything and it all checks out good... im about ready to get rid of the truck

2002 F-250 7.3L,8.5 lift with 40" Nitto Mudd Grapplers,Garret Powermax BB GTP38R Turbo,DP tuner with autometer gauges, AFEII intake, 5" stainless straight, shift kit,Forged Rods,Stage 2 Hybrid injectors,Suncoast TC, JW valve body, Custom traction bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

Re: exaust noise cutting out and looseing power

Ensure that you have at least 40psi of fuel pressure when this is happening. It sounds a lot like a fuel delivery issue.

Really sounds like a fuel pump. Find some way to monitor your fuel pressure while driving.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Village Idiot

seems like you can tap a port on the fuel filter housing , and put a guage out there for testing .

in fact didn't you (charles) run with a temporary fuel gauge out on the hood for a bit...

I know charles has lots of fuel pump failure trouble shooting expierence.
I would pick his brain some more.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 AM

Look at what your ICP does.

This can also happen if too much icp is being asked for and the pump can't keep up, PW will start falling off bad and the truck will have no power, let off the pedal and it will take off.

Any codes?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Check fuel pressure first. If this is occuring from lack of fuel pressure you're risking destroying every single P&B assembly while you're hammering them down with tons of ICP and nothing under that Plunger. Just SLAMMING them to full stroke without any lubrication between plunger and barrell. Not a good scenario.

Once you determine that you have fuel pressure, you can continue testing without fear of destroying a set of injectors.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 AM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Village Idiot

def a good idea injectors are expenssive alot harder to change then a fuel pump.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode