A question for those that play with sticks - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

A question for those that play with sticks

i currently have a diy 230cc hybrid injector kit sitting here. im running everything in my sig, would it be safe, as long as i watch my gauges, to put the kit in with stock nozzles to keep the flow down? would i see a gain in power? i would think the injection pressure would be higher but i dont think the cp would be too high for the stock hg's and bolts. i want to get some power out of this thing but until i get studs and a turbo(s) i dont want to over fuel it and pop a hg. what do you guys think? what will a stock obs nozzle put out?

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 AM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever
Re: A question for those that play with sticks

I'm currently running 200cc Hybrids with 30% EH nozzles on them in my '97 truck. Its as stock as it was from the factory other than Air filter, Chip and the injectors (The Wheels and Kenwood don't really count).

Runs ok right now.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
PSN Local

If you are running a SD turbo, just set the WG accordingly.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

im more worried about the egt's while pulling. michael, how bad do you smoke?

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

With stock nozzles that will be NO different than with the stock injectors. Nozzles determine injector "agressiveness" not capacity. They will not be a single bit different than your bone stock injectors until your programming calls for more fuel than your stock injectors could deliver.

Whether or not it stays together for you depends SOLELY on whomever you choose to tune it.

But the main thing is, with the stock nozzle, if you pull the chip it won't be "like" stock, or "close to stock" it will BE stock.

Hope that helps.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwheeler View Post
im more worried about the egt's while pulling. michael, how bad do you smoke?
As much as I want to I try to drive it as hard as I can without smoking, i.e. rowing through the gears and roll into it until I see a little haze in the mirror and stop there.

Its VERY manage in lower setting obviously, but I can still stab it and get a decent cloud. Still managable in the hot setting, just slightly less. As for EGT's I don't know yet, I haven't invested in gauges. Data from the Scan tool shows ICP holding 2900+ psi at WOT cranked up on the factory 15 degree pump

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

charles, pw is the main ingredient in fueling, i understand that. from what you said the stock nozzle wont let any more fuel out even if the injector has a higher capacity, from that i get that even with stock injectrors, they are still not fully emptying all 90cc they should be good for?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Banned

If they were, then you wouldn't ever get power by adding a chip to an otherwise stock truck

So clearly if you pull the chip, you'll experience the same old truck you're used to because the injectors will not ever stroke out anymore fuel than stock. Or, in your "stock" setting, same goes.

The nozzle determines drivability. Not the capacity. If you took a stock AA, but put a 300% nozzle on it, it's going to be smoky and touchy even with no chip. Conversely, if you put a stock 7 hole nozzle on a 400cc injector it's not going to know anything has changed without the chip in. Because it will never be commanded to inject any more fuel than the stock injector did with that very same nozzle.

If you don't plan to make more than about 300rwhp, the stock nozzle wins hands down. If you want 400, it can do it, but you're sacrificing top end with all but the craziest injectors. It can do even more than 400, but you're really pushing things, and most trucks won't put that power down on stock nozzles.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

so i guess i would be better off putting the 230's in and have the tuner pull some pw out to keep fuel flow down to say around 160-180cc's?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned

You can put nozzles on them if you want, just tune accordingly.

How well do you trust your tuner? That's really what it boils down to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode