Cam selection on a 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Cam selection on a 7.3

I know I've seen na few posts about this. Recomendations for cam for a built 7.3? Limited to stock rpm level for now, but want room to grow. Is it even worth it to go aftermarket? Has anyone flowed the heads to see what lift they work best at? I dont want opinions based on feelings, I'd like facts, and experience from testing. I dont need one that pulls from idle to 3,000. I'd rather have a cam that works good from say 1,500 up to just over 4,000, maybe 4,500. Mine only sees less than 1,500 when its idling so......Hows that DI cam work? Maybe a custom grind? Wipe out enterprises?
Thanks, Scott

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

Re: Cam selection on a 7.3

Really?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Really?
Really that I'd want a different one, or really that I want real life expreience not just opinion??llol

And yes, I really want room to grow as far as rpm's go. I know that eventually it will be possible to get there. Not a matter of whether , matter of when it will be made publicly for sale...... SO hurry the crap up !

All joking aside, has anyone done the flow bench testing on these heads ported or otherwise to see where they like the lift to be?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

That's not even the real worth of a cam swap for rpm. It's valve timing.

Since nobody has ever made horsepower with a cam on a 7.3 and documented it, good luck with anything more than conjecture. Plenty of people familiar with what a turbo engine is looking for can tell you what you need out of the cam to help VE move a little bit.

But none of them can show you any results for this engine that didn't involve simply dealing with a screw up, or removing an engine and reinstalling the f'ing cam that came in it.

Since plenty of people have seen positive dyno numbers by swapping back to the stock cam, I would ask to see some similar back to back tests of aftermarket cams and positive changes to horsepower associated with them before even contemplating a swap.

And unless you're running more boost than drive pressure, you had better not let any ideas of increased lift end up buying you some nice VE destroying valve overlap.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Adjustable cam gear maybe? I could probly get a new key cut to advance/ retard the timing a couple gegrees, but it would suck to have to pull the engine to adjust it. Anybody got an engine dyno they want to donate? lol
I've played around with cam timing enough to know that it makes a HUGE difference on ANY engine. Two or three degrees of cam timing is big change in the rpm range. It would be nice if someone has done this testing already.
I dont currently have the resources to do it myself. What cam is D.O. running? How bout Zanes truck? If the cam works in a mech. injected version, then it should work the same in a HEUI version as long as the rpm range was the same. Really all I need to know could be seen on a flow bench.
What lift do the stock heads flow best at. Dont want to go crazy with valve overlap/ duration. Maybe four or five degrees more duration, and whatever lift it needs to be at to flow the best.
Might just have to have mine flowed before finishing this project.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

I wouldn't worry about Zane. Doesn't seem to be making the power up top.

But talking to Ben would be a hell of an idea. They would be about the only ones that could give you more than a load of bs about a 7.3 and a different cam grind.

Might also call somebody like Dan Scheid. He could tell you the direction to go with the cam if he wanted to.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Not a bad idea. Any idea how to get in touch?
send me a pm if so.
Thanks Charles.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

Both of those guys can be found at the pulls. I know for a fact that if you catch him at the right time, Dan will talk your ear off. I talked with him about that rail of his at commerce for about an hour a few years ago not long after they put it together. He's a great guy, but he's usually busier than hell.

Ben will talk to you too. But I don't know how much he would be willing to divulge camshaft specs with you.

Hell, Dan might make you one based on the range you're looking for. I know those guys have taken the time with those 5.9's on the engine dyno to KNOW what it takes out of a cam to get the air in and out. Same principle changes would apply. Hell, if you talked to him just right and got the funding sorted out he might run a 7.3 on the dyno until the cam was perfect...

Those guys could do it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

I thought Lott put one in elmos truck

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Without back to back dyno pulls it means little. And not that it takes anything away, but the air for that truck never did have near as much to do with a cam profile as with the blue bottles in the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in