Traction Bar Length? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Traction Bar Length?

for those that have built your own what was your overall length? Is longer better . FWIW, these are not going to be daily driven, Sled pulls only.
I have 2 -8' pieces of 1-3/4" DOM tubing.

E '99 F-350 CC LB, ZF6, IDP -T4i Mount, Comp. Fuel System, , Reg. Return, Comp Valve springs, ARP's, DI P- Rods, Adrenaline HPOP, Isspro's, Detroit Tru Trac

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

Re: Traction Bar Length?

If you want them to purposefully bind your rear axle and help limit travel then longer and more horizontal the better.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you want them to purposefully bind your rear axle and help limit travel then longer and more horizontal the better.
7' 1" seems to be the # in the search forum for CC SB trucks , mine is a long bed.

Charles, are you saying thats a good thing or bad? binding is usally not a good thing, or do you mean it as locking it in to a fixed position?

E '99 F-350 CC LB, ZF6, IDP -T4i Mount, Comp. Fuel System, , Reg. Return, Comp Valve springs, ARP's, DI P- Rods, Adrenaline HPOP, Isspro's, Detroit Tru Trac

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

Correct. It seems to be the opinion of the pullers that the more rigid the rear axle the better. Purposefully binding the link would limit travel.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

8' bars put the front hanger right at the back of thre front doors

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Crazy Redneck

Mine are at the center of the rear doors. Works for me. Don't have an actual length.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
<- Sums it up

Mine are 85"(7'1") for my CC LB and work great. If I preload them towards the front(shorten them) as tight as I can with my hands only, they ride normal. If I unload them or preload them towards the rear(lengthen them) any amount the ride is somewhat stiffer than stock. Not jaw rattling but it is firmer.

Early99 CC LWB 4X4
Updated B codes, Modded H2E, Big oil, half filled block, studded, John Wood 4R100. 232K miles
Tows like a champ!

"Damn Larry, he passed us like a freight train passing a hobo!"
--Lisa P.

Just sold to Larry
2-17-2019: 97 CC LWB 4X4 7.3 with full banks kit, John Wood E4OD. 139K miles
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But that's the complete opposite of how they actually work.
The longer the bar, the more travel you get out of the axle. A very short bar will bind the axle in a hurry, but a long horizontal bar gives great travel, no bind. Although a lot will depend on how they are mounted. A single tab below the axle will control wrap and give good axle travel. Having mounts above and below the axle and a short bar will limit travel greatly and cause bind.

I switched from short bars to long bars last fall and the travel/ride quality is amazing. You can easily see how they work/bind by just jacking up the axle...
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Well, if you have a rear leafpack that is damn near flat, then yes, as it will pattern the arc of the link for the most part. I thought most superduty rear springs had some decent arc to them, course I might have been looking at my 6" springpack one to many times, lol.

If you ran a horizontal link to my springpack it would arc straight up for all intents and purposes (although actually toward the front of the truck slightly) while my springpack would arc the axle rearward and up quite a bit as it compressed because of the angle of the forward half of the spring pack between perch and hangar.

In my case and many others, a horizontal link would travel in a path opposite that of the springpack causing the springpack to have to wrap in the same direction the drive torque would normally wrap it in order to cycle on compression.

In your case it sounds like your leafpack is nearly horizontal itself. If that's the case then what I said was wrong.

Sorry. I must have been looking at to many lifted trucks.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

ended up @ 88" not counting the eyes on both ends, looks to be just about center of the rear doors. will see, might get them them on tommorrow still need to fab the mounting brackets.

238/200
ISM HX50
Tyrant Tunes
South Bend DD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode