How Hard Is a Forged Rod Swap? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

How Hard Is a Forged Rod Swap?

I have some money now and want injectors I am just afraid of the Motor going kaboom without some better rods in it. I was thinking about buying a set from DI since 480 bucks is worth it if it will keep my block from windowing. I just wanted to see how hard is it to swap in the rods and what else you all would recomend be done at the time I put them in.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: How Hard Is a Forged Rod Swap?

you might as well build the whole motor since you have to pull it out

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Depends on how far you want to go. But if it was me I would do head studs and valve springs while it was out as well. I think I would look at some better rods than the factory forged if I was pulling the motor to install them.

2001 F250, CCSB, 4X4, Auto, Forged rods
Lots of go fast parts and still slow.

2001 F250, STD cab, 2WD

Frame is a little shorter now
workin on body
engine build underway

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

How far are you wanting to go with your truck, i.e. hp, what uses, etc...?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
PSN Veteran

I will be pulling my engine to put in head studs and forged rods...

I don't ever plan on drugs, I don't sled pull, and I may make a few 1/4 miles passes, but that will be it.....

1995 Ford F350 XLT CC LB, 4X4, 12V Cummins, ZF5, D60, Sterling 10.5, 6637 air filter, 7.3L Intercooler, Autometer Cobalt Gauges. ZF6 swap soon to come
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Sleep well my brothers

I have always the rule if it out do what you can/afford to it while it's out, because it's a pain to keep pulling and reinstalling. Or you could wait until you get all your parts then pull it. Or buy a spare 7.3 and build it like you want then do a swap whenever your done with it.

Early 99 CC DRW AFE, 4" MBRP,Autometer,6.0 trans cooler, ITP, DP Tuner and cupholder upgrade
Former U.S.A. Res. MP & proud of it!

2005 Dodge 4x4 5.9 With some stuff done to it.

"If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you're not a racist…you'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

Buy a second core 7.3

Build it on the side

Drive in on friday with PMRs, leave sunday with forged or billet ?

Just so happens I have a core that I can sell ya

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:46 AM
green member

I ended up getting rid of my PMRs due to a bad oil pick up tube....

while it's out it's getting bored, decked, balanced rotating assembly with forged and .020+ mahles, align honed, fluidampr, new exhaust valves, springs, push rods, studs....all because it had to be pulled for the tube. HAha!

2001 F-250 handshaker
Stealth HPOPs
Alliant ACs
Forged rods with other junk to make it work

Thanks to TDP, BDP, RDS, PHP and TDGrp
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Back to Civilian Life!!

What are you asking for that extra motor diesel boy? I would love to have an extra to build on the side rather then be without my truck for a short bit. It would be much easier to build it with what I want also rather then just do the rods. Let me know what the damage would be. I want just a reliable DD I have never done a pull but I do like to go to the track. No drugs all fuel and I am shooting for the 500 club. No less then 500 and no more then 550. I want it to be very reliable though and not have to worry about it windowing the block.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 PM
PSN Local

Would everything need to be rebalanced after installing new rods?

2003 7.3 XLT FX4, AFE Stage 2, Regulated Return, Bowl Delete, 3/8" line from tank to heads, Pre/Post Filters, Tank mods, DP F5: 60T, 80E, 120R, 6.0 IC, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Suncoast Shift Kit, Wicked Wheel, ITP Boost Annihilator, Di Procol Optix, Straight Pipe, CCV, 285/75/16 BFG AT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode