Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Easy Question for Those in the Know

4K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  strokin_early_99 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever replaced stock AD injectors with ACs (and appropriate tuning) while leaving everything else the same? What was the fuel economy difference vs the stock AD combo?

Just wondering,
Matt R

#33 ·
Alot would have to do with at what point the a/c's were installed to net that small gain.

For instance, if you had the dual pumps and custom/live tunes from Jody, and then simply switched to the a/c's and had the tunes adjusted for single shots, then I wouldn't expect your gains to be very much.

If you were running stock and then added the injectors, pumps and tuning at the same time, then your truck was either getting exceptional mileage to begin with, or something is wrong with it, or you simply drive like a bat outta hell all the time.

#4 ·
Fuel economy depends on tuning and driving style. Single shots have the ability to get better fuel economy over splits as you are not wasting fuel on the pilot injection.

#5 ·
okay but only 1/4 mpg better.... wow I would have expected better than that... maybe nobody has tuned them properly..... Just guessing as I have no proof of that... I would have expected at least another 10-15 percent better fuel economy potential..

#23 ·
I hand-calculated 18.5 on a trip from Dallas a few weeks ago. I tell you it's really hard for me to go very far without romping on it at least a couple of times.

I'm hoping it improves a bit once I get some better atomization with some BO. Still not too shabby for my setup (namely the extra weight, lift, tires, 1.15 housing, and a couple of misbehaving injectors that need repair).

:fordoval:

-Brent

#20 ·
Well, running the crap out of it empty, I got 16.5. That was anywhere from 2200-3600+ on the interstate for about a 23hr drive LOL.

Got 16+ that whole trip.

It's pretty consistent 14.4 in town (heavy foot) and 18.2-18.5 on the freeway (cruise set as close to 2000rpms as I can bring myself to)

#19 ·
I wonder if a lot of the mileage has to do with turbos?

There is the theory that a turboed engine is its most efficient at 0lbs of boost, and then there is the theory more boost will up power output at a given rpm and burn the fuel more completely.

Cruising 72mph on 35s and 6inch lift ive done 19mpg with hybrids and 38r w/ 115 housing. Be interestign to see what the 1.0 housing or even the .84 would do for purely a milelage standpoint.

#35 ·
so going from AD to AC injectors is a 30-50 hp gain? what injectors are in a 02 psd?

#38 ·
awsome thank you:bowfast:would putting ac's in help or increase power in my setup?

#39 ·
Singles will always have higher power potential than splits, all else being constant. Think about it...with splits, it's a game of "inject...wait...inject", where singles just have one continuous injection event. Splits waste precious PW time that could be used injecting fuel and making mo powah!

-Brent

#40 ·
understood....did the ac's come in any year powerstroke? where could they be found?

#42 ·
They were a "high torque" option on the engines IH put in some of their trucks.

#43 ·
so they are not something you could get out of a donor engine somewhere?

#44 ·
not likely unless you are going through some truck graveyards looking at old IH trucks. But you can find them new from Alliant with stock nozzles for about $1500. Or talk to Cass and see about some bigger EDM nozzles.

#45 ·
Do you think that it the tuning is really that reliable to run an AC with larger nozzle and not loose a PMR? What do you think the reason is for guys loosing theirn PMR motors with stage 2 injectors? Are they intentionally putting more fuel in there knowing that the rods could go? I would like to do some stage 2 singles, but I have PMR's, and I don't see how I could change out the rods anytime soon.

#47 ·
Do you think that it the tuning is really that reliable to run an AC with larger nozzle and not loose a PMR? What do you think the reason is for guys loosing theirn PMR motors with stage 2 injectors? I would like to do some stage 2 singles, but I have PMR's, and I don't see how I could change out the rods anytime soon.
Check out this thread that's currently a pretty active topic, and draw your own conclusions (post #42 is where this really enters the discussion):

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12793

Are they intentionally putting more fuel in there knowing that the rods could go?
I firmly believe that no tuner out there wants any of their customers to rod a motor. That's just bad for business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.