"So there I was..." - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
War Pig

"So there I was..."

at the mud races. some guy in a cummins was talking trash, "i have 600hp and 1000 lb ft of tq". him and his buddies, one of which was in a 6.sl0w, starting calling my truck a freak. they couldn't figure out how a 300hp truck running all-terrain tires was beating them by a full second.

Chad

04 F350, CC, LB, 4X4 Fat Bottom Girl....Butt A$$ Stock

SOLD>>>'00 F250, DP-Tuner, 5" Straight Pipe, S&B intake, autometer, Racer X TC and VB, Full Force Stage 1, prepump/in-tank mod, Annihilator, 203*

ET: 5.024 250' Mud Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: "So there I was..."

"So there I was" sounds like the start of a good joke, lol. Oh BTW

2005 F-250
Tuning by-Gearhead Automotive & Innovative
Performance Truck Products
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:46 AM
PSN Veteran

they probably needed bigger tires for the hp, there is such a thing as too much wheel speed in the mud.

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
War Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwheeler View Post
they probably needed bigger tires for the hp, there is such a thing as too much wheel speed in the mud.
that's what i told the cummins guy. i told him to turn his tuner waaaaaaaaaaaay down. they were running 37-38" BFG Krawlers.

Chad

SOLD>>>'00 F250, DP-Tuner, 5" Straight Pipe, S&B intake, autometer, Racer X TC and VB, Full Force Stage 1, prepump/in-tank mod, Annihilator, 203*

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

I don't buy less horsepower in the mud for a second .

It's much more likely that, number 1.... they weren't making anywhere NEAR the power they thought they were, and number 2, you're truck was just getting a better hook. Not because of less power, because it was just hooking better. If you had more power you would go even faster, not slower.

If this were not the case, then the mud rails would be running 300hp powerstrokes...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:36 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Theres also the fact that some trucks and configurations pull better in mud than others. Even with the tires, some trucks wont pull no matter how much money you throw at them. My 98 gmc long wheel base was hopeless in the mud pulling someone.

Example ups guy got stuck in the front yard. My 325 hp 98 gmc with brand new tires couldnt even make the ups guys antennas twitch with my gmc even backing up and snatching at it.

Got my 160hp 84 s10 blazer out and pulled him out with no problem what so ever. Same tires, same size tires, same brand tires. Mud King's on both.

So wheelbase, weight distribution and other factors can beat hp and torque any day of the week sometimes

It drove me nuts trying to get that 98 gmc 4x4 to be able to pull someone in the mud. Just wasnt happening. My 2002 F250 with all terrains is a god send over that gmc with mud tires.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
PSN Veteran

We ran in the mud races last night and the more boost we leave with...the better we run. Truck is an ex cab short bed with hybrids and 38r so figure around 450-480rwp. Problem is we're in stock class but somehow we are racing trucks running on race fuel with roller rocker big blocks chevy motors with enough cam to make them hardly idle. Might be about time to sneak the nos bottle in the cab instead of in the bed for the next races.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
War Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't buy less horsepower in the mud for a second .

It's much more likely that, number 1.... they weren't making anywhere NEAR the power they thought they were, and number 2, you're truck was just getting a better hook. Not because of less power, because it was just hooking better. If you had more power you would go even faster, not slower.

If this were not the case, then the mud rails would be running 300hp powerstrokes...
i don't like to call people liars, he said he had it dynoed. plus there's a hemi runnin' out there that is almost identical to the cummins, only on 35s, that has less power but can almost keep up with me. i think power plays a big roll with the heavier trucks. less is better unless you have the right set up such as rails, they are way lighter and run paddle tires. i think his truck was just heavy enough that he was spinning way too much and wasn't moving it. if he was able to run paddles like the rails he probably would have been faster. and yes i'll agree, i was hooking up waaaaaaay better than he was.

Chad

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

I could swap engines with you without changing one other thing on your truck and you would instantly run faster... if it held together.

Period.

Well, maybe engine and transmission.

If going fastest in the mud was simply a matter of applying power until just before traction was lost you wouldn't see guys building so much power to compete, you would see them building traction control systems that applied engine power based on wheel speed sensors. Unfortunately that won't get you down the track any faster than you've got the horsepower for. The faster you can spin the tires the more force you're building from the friction of the tire spinning on the surface of the mud. 200mph tire speed is definately going to shoot your ass down that lane a whole hell of a lot faster than 15mph tire speed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
War Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I could swap engines with you without changing one other thing on your truck and you would instantly run faster... if it held together.
how about we start small. send me a new set of sticks, then we'll move on to swaping engines

Chad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode