Weird Electrical Problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Weird Electrical Problem

Ok guys i posted about this problem in the past. I have C2's so you guys who have them know they are bright and you need the dimmer or you go blind. Well when I hook up my dimmer correctly it interfres with the PCM somehow, it will lug and rev the engine as well as the flashers/ turn signals rev the motor as well. I have tried different postions on the dimmer away or closer to the PCM still does it. And as I adjust the Autometer dimmer it also revs the motor. Now mind you it ONLY does this when the lights are turned to running lights or headlights, if the selecter is on AUTO its not as bad. NOW if I dont ground the dimmer no problems at all and i have even grounded it to the hitch furtest from PCM still does it. I am loading a video. And it does this with Cale's chip I had, jody's chip, and no chip. And are they any worries running no ground?????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Weird Electrical Problem

http://videos.powerstrokenation.com/...d70175d7a4.htm video and I just finished wiring in my 4 pod pillar with my Dp switch and found out that without the ground it wont dim [email protected]#$%^&*()[email protected]#$%^&*
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:08 PM
PSN Veteran

Well, we have had our differences on other subjects,, lol but I will try to help. Everything needs a ground to work,, so it MUST be getting one somewhere. Also Grounds can cause the wierdest problems in electronics for sure. Am I safe in assuming they are gages? (Not sure what C'2s are) But you talked about the pillar pod. Where did you tap the power from for the lights? From the dash lights wire? (So they will come on with your trucks lights?) If so, where did you ground them when you were running a ground? I tapped mine into the light switch, and they dim with the headlights. If they are too bright from the getgo, maybe you could install a resistor inline do drop the voltage to the bulbs some? (From say 12v to 10 or 8?) That way at their brightest they would be tollerable and the light switch could dim them in accordance with the dash lights. (Myself, I never touch the dimmer anyway)

Just a thought, hope you get them squared away!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes they are autometer's led guages, i tapped for power at the light switch dimmer itself. I tapped for the ground to the dash frame didnt thik of the ground at the switch Which wire is the ground? thxs jim
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EfltoutK6FI finally i have the video up
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

That is wierd to say the least... Well, I thought you had a separate dimmer for the gages, I guess I misunderstood.. your using the stock dimmer switch to dim them...right? What ground wire are you talking about on it? I would say if they work RIGHT with no ground,,, that is fine. Like I said, it HAS to be getting a ground somewhere,,, electrons are like water, and they flow.... from + to - in a circuit.... so without being grounded the lights would NOT work,,, as far as the dimmer switch, it wouldn't necessarily need a separate ground, all a dimmer is, is a variable resistor, which varies the voltage to the bulbs,,, all it would have to intercept is the hot wire to the lights, increasing resistance and dropping the voltage to the lights, thus dimming them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

the gauges by themelves are way to bright so i am trying to use the autometer dimmer to set the highest possible setting then once that is set they will dim with the rest of the dash with the factory dimmer. but i have found out that without the ground connected the dimmer does NOT work not sure why. i going to try and tap for power from the parking lights instead il let you guys know thxs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Ahh ok, I understand now. Maybe using the idea of installing a resistor in the wire to the lights would work? You could solder it inline, then put heat shrink over it, no problem. (TO find the right size, maybe ohming the switch where it is the brightness level you want could tell you what resistance it is at?) Not sure on that. Or you could just trial and error it, with a few sizes from radio shack.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

What 4 gauges do you have just out of curiosity. I have that same Autometer dimmer but with Digital Cobalt guages and no issues. My thought is you are backfeeding something that has a weak ground. Try changing your grounding point.

Tom

1996 F250 Powerstroke 4X4 AUTO
DP-Tuner F-6 chip live tuned, BTS Transmission, Garrett 38R Turbo, Swamps Injectors 150cc, electric fuel,
Banks Intercooler, Reflexxions Cowl Hood, 17 degree HPOP, 4" Stainless Magnaflow &
Aeroturbine exhaust, Aeroforce OBD Scan Gauge, Truxedo tonneau cover
Dana 60 Precision Metal Fab RSK and SD Springs
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:33 AM
PSN Mega Miler

He got it fixed.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode