Breaking in rebuilt 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Breaking in rebuilt 7.3

Whats the general consensus on breaking in a rebuilt 7.3? Some say put in stock injectors and tune and some say to run what your have for injectors and tuning and go. What's the best way to do it?

Thanks,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]01' F-350 CC,LB,SRW,4x4,BTS,Stealth Oil,Live DP Tuning,ITP fuel,530's,BB turbo w/1.15,4"turboback,DIY Tymar,Autometer's, & PMR's 449 hp/ 940 torque in 80 ecno tune @ Gams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Banning Smut

Re: Breaking in rebuilt 7.3

Danny has a video of his break in procedure on the pumpkin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
PSN Local

I'm going to run what i have i see no reason not to. I'm going to run dino oil for the first oil change to allow the rings to seat. After that i'm going synthetic.

96 F350 4x4 35" BFG Mud T/A Weld SS II. Chip,Intake,4" Exhaust. Isspro Pyro,Trans,Boost. BTS. Hybrids,Fuel System,IDM,and Modded H2E from Bean. R&R Rods. Girdle and Push Rods from WOP.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yea, I saw Danny's vid, David suggested the same procedure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]01' F-350 CC,LB,SRW,4x4,BTS,Stealth Oil,Live DP Tuning,ITP fuel,530's,BB turbo w/1.15,4"turboback,DIY Tymar,Autometer's, & PMR's 449 hp/ 940 torque in 80 ecno tune @ Gams
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

What vid ?

I know that your first oil change should be at 500 then go to regular procedures........

Is it like a gas motor where you have to run it to get the coating off the cam on first start up ?

Then its just different rpms, loads and speeds right ?

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to BMac Send a message via MSN to BMac Send a message via Skype™ to BMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
What vid?
I would assume it has something to do with a nice burn out

People Fly Airplanes, Pilot's Fly Helicopters

2002 F350 Extended Cab Shortbed
1977 Early Bronco
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:42 PM
PSN Veteran

FWIW I would run dino oil for more than 500 miles before going to synthetic. If you change the breakin oil at 500 or 1000 miles put dino back in for another 3000 to 5000 miles. There's no reason to have the possibility of not getting the rings seated right away just because you want to run synthetic oil.

And personally I think all that varying speed and don't go over 55 mph stuff is just a load of crap. Use the truck like you would use it normally. I wouldn't run a high hp chip program but anything that makes less than 300 hp should be fine. I would prefer to get it hooked to a fairly heavy trailer for at least 50 to 100 miles during the first 3 to 5000 miles with dino oil but that probably isn't necessary.

Once the camshaft is broke in on our gas race engines (about 25 minutes at 2500 to 3000 RPM idle) it's game on! I really don't see why a PSD would be that much different.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler View Post
FWIW I would run dino oil for more than 500 miles before going to synthetic. If you change the breakin oil at 500 or 1000 miles put dino back in for another 3000 to 5000 miles. There's no reason to have the possibility of not getting the rings seated right away just because you want to run synthetic oil.
My understanding was that the rings were essentially seated in the first few 100 miles and that you should get it all hot and loaded with lots of acceleration/deceleration with engine compression to have them seat well. Hence the advice to drive it like you stole it once the you are sure everything is spinning over correctly and without leaks etc. I have read that all of the engines coming from Navistar are run for some time at close to Max RPMs before released to Ford. Not just up and down the RPM range but enough to have the turbo glowing nicely.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 4.10 DRW, with "the ultimate towing setup!": Nov 30, 1999 engine with Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs and ARP headstuds, DP-Tuner, DI regulated return, AC singles with 80% over EDM nozzles, BTS dual HPOP, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC and BTS tranny .
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Banning Smut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacD View Post
I would assume it has something to do with a nice burn out
Yup! Got a latenight phonecall on that one. Good thing David was on the pink drinks. If not he would have probably had a stroke.

|
|
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul_n_horses2 View Post
My understanding was that the rings were essentially seated in the first few 100 miles and that you should get it all hot and loaded with lots of acceleration/deceleration with engine compression to have them seat well. Hence the advice to drive it like you stole it once the you are sure everything is spinning over correctly and without leaks etc. I have read that all of the engines coming from Navistar are run for some time at close to Max RPMs before released to Ford. Not just up and down the RPM range but enough to have the turbo glowing nicely.
Running at max RPM's for break in is a good thing becuase the piston goes up and down a whole lot more times than it does if you tool around a 2K. Exactly double the times at 4K RPM so it will take 1/2 the time to get the rings seated.

I would just run dino oil for that long becuase it sure as hell anit going to hurt anything. Switching to syntetic too early on the other hand........

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode