i need a junk set of heads and a block - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

i need a junk set of heads and a block

anyone lookin to donate some junk? i am working on a new intake idea using a common plenum to feed both heads. it will take alot of work to make a working prototype and get the bugs worked out, but once i get a design that has the best gains i will build a pattern and have them casted. i am looking for a junk block, i.e. missing pieces from a thrown rod, as long as its good from the cam up it doesnt matter. also need a set of heads, whether they are cracked doesnt matter. don't need valves, rockers, or springs. whoever does donate will get a intake manifold free of charge, if they do go into production. this, as far as i know has never been done.

on a side note, anyone have a pic of the intake runners on the heads?

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: i need a junk set of heads and a block

Just in case you didn't know, if you make a 1 piece intake that bolts to both heads then you will start having issues when people deck the block and heads to clean up the surfaces. A few thousanths clean up on each surface isn't that big of a deal but if people get to taking .010" to .015" off both the head and block deck surface that will start getting the heads sitting just enough lower that you could have fit up issues. This can be resolved by machining material off of the 1 piece intake that you make up.

This is a somewhat normal routine for hi perf machine shops but not every bohunk machinist or "PSD mod installer" will think about this.
(I'm not talking about you here, I'm talking about your potential customers.)

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

I have a block !

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

dieselboy- what would shipping be? im at 95973, have forklift and its a buisness.

im suprised with all the thrown rods noone else has a junk block they want to get rid of

'96 f-250, auto, shackle flip, solid axle, rsk, high/crossover steering, 3.73's, true trac's front and rear, trac bars, gt4202, 7.3 ic, idm mod, ccv mod, A1000, 4-line DIY Gen3, dual ipr's, casserly 350/200's, arp studs, 910's, pushrods, elec. fan, 2-stage nitrous, fluidampr.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 PM

It'll crack. There is a lot of movement going on between the block and heads and if you try and bolt something solide BETWEEN the heads effectivly trying to tie each head together whatever you use to do that will crack. The only way it'd work is to have a bellows or hump hose somewhere between the two heads.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69W900A View Post
It'll crack. There is a lot of movement going on between the block and heads and if you try and bolt something solide BETWEEN the heads effectivly trying to tie each head together whatever you use to do that will crack. The only way it'd work is to have a bellows or hump hose somewhere between the two heads.

The marine version uses a one piece manifold.

03 E-350 7.3, forged rods, exhaust ported heads, comp 910's, 38R/47, 4.10LS, stealth twin pumps, 300cc hybrids from Swamps, h-11's, racerx trans and TC, Swamps tunes, water...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM

How well did it work on a 400HP engine?

It might work, but there is a lot of movement at high CP's/Boost levels and it's eveident at looking at old HG's.

I'm not saying for sure it won't work, but two plenumbs with thicker flanges so they don't leak at all are easy and work just fine and no worries at all with that setup.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

two plenums do work but doesn't anyone ever wonder how you can take a 454ci bbc put a blower on it at 30psi and make 1500hp, but you try and take a 444ci and you will be hard pressed to make 550hp at 50psi of boost and tons of fuel. i will be building headers and possibly casting new heads later down the road. i am working on this with a buddy that is already casting blower manifolds and tranny adapters. we have a full machine shop and foundry lined up, as well as the knowlegde of casting. we have an engineer to help with the air flow theories of this. it just seems like the 7.3 is a very inefficent motor but not worth giving up on.

i cant see how the heads move enough to crack an intake. the heads and block expand at the same rate, if the heads did move enough to crack an intake you wouldnt be able to keep head gaskets sealed. the main reason for hg's blowing is cp's higher than the fastener's can hold along with uneven clamping force from stretching bolts and uneven surface areas. the intake will have 3/8" flanges, i'll shoot some pics of the flanges i machined last night.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 AM
ARMY bound

I have both, but need you to come to Phoenix to pick them up.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

would you be willing to put them on a pallet if i paid shipping?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode