Aftermarket fuel system, how much does it help? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Aftermarket fuel system, how much does it help?

OK, didnt want to borrow another thread. I know its been talked about, but seriously, on my setup, how much difference will an aftermarket fuel system help the hp/ tq?
Right now, I have swamps gen 3 pump, Beans 230 cc singles, 4" exhaust, DP tuning with the standard --stock/ 60 tow/ 80 econo/ 120 race/ 140 extreme ICP, high idle.
Also, have Dockboys old H2E turbo , and full gauges. Well, all but fuel pressure. Stock fuel pump, lines, filter. And nitrous system jetted to a .063 right now. Not much smoke with this jet, NO smoke with a .073 jet.
It picked up 7 mph over the old injectors, without gas in the 1/8 mile. On the bottle, it picked up 3 mph over the old ones. Leads me to believe that I'm probably dropping fuel pressure, and theres more there with better flow.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Re: Aftermarket fuel system, how much does it help?

Get a gauge on it to know for sure. Won't help a ton unless you're dropping a lot.

I'm dropping from 75psi to 28psi. I'll let you know how much difference when I get it to hold.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Harry Callahan

The stock SD fuel lines are the worst looking pos fuel lines you can ever imagine. The check valves in the heads are a joke too. My guess is with your setup a fuel system will be a great improvement.

RDRCM#10
A select band of brothers- We stand together as one.

Giant VT-3, not stock

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

I'll see if I can get a gauge on there this week. Does autometer make an electric fuel pressure gauge 0-100 psi?
I want one that matches the ones I have. Have to get another gauge pod too. Are they making a-pillar guage pods for 4 gauges yet? I was going to get an electric oil pressure gauge today, but decided to wait and find one that actually says fuel pressure. I'm betting its droppin bad. I just dont know at what point it starts hurting power.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperonhigh View Post
The stock SD fuel lines are the worst looking pos fuel lines you can ever imagine. The check valves in the heads are a joke too. My guess is with your setup a fuel system will be a great improvement.
So, what do you do with the check valves? Can they be taken out, or are they needed? I know the lines are ugly, but besides that, is there a real reason to change them?
You think the pump upgrade is enough , or do I really need the bigger lines, upgraded filters?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard

You will definitely be lack top end from fuel pressure drop. First, get the pressure gauge and see how low your pressure is dropping. You can go in the existing fuel ports, less the check valves, or go in through the back of the head, thru the fuel rail plugs. DI sell fitting to do this. Then plug the current feed ports. Run larger lines - AN#6 to heads, AN#8 from pump. You can use the existing fuel bowl regulator (shimmed to get a bit more pressure) or add a regulated return kit.

aka - Grumpy .. aka - Bubba Grump .. aka - Bubba .. aka - Grumpy Old F... . . A "slow" fatass 9K Dually.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris View Post
I'll see if I can get a gauge on there this week. Does autometer make an electric fuel pressure gauge 0-100 psi?
I want one that matches the ones I have. Have to get another gauge pod too. Are they making a-pillar guage pods for 4 gauges yet? I was going to get an electric oil pressure gauge today, but decided to wait and find one that actually says fuel pressure. I'm betting its droppin bad. I just dont know at what point it starts hurting power.
Autometer does make a 0-100 PSI electric gauge and yes they have 4 gauge pods out. Im workin on my fuel system right now, when its done ill let ya know.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM
PSN Veteran

I can't believe you have that big of an injector without a fuel system. I would HIGHLY recommend you call Dennis at ITP and work out a complete fuel system. You have to be way down on fuel pressure but the guage first idea is valid. It would be interesting to see just how low you are dropping before and after an upgrade.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Wheelie Dude

Send a message via AIM to bean

I would say you are dropping to close to 0 psi at WOT with a stock fuel system. 0psi is not good cause that means no fuel in the injector and no fuel no lube.

Smokin' Hot Hooker- 2002 F350 Dually 4x4 6spd- 5.9 CR-
BDP Drag Truck- 81 C10-5.9CR, BTS 4R, Goes Fast

Beans Diesel Performance
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 AM
10.61 @ 128 MPH

Send a message via AIM to Powersmoker

i guess i need a fuel system then too

2000 F-250 Regular Cab
1069 RWHP 1768 Torque
10.55 @ 129 MPH NOS

2000 F-350 ECLB DRW
Tow Rig

Murff Racing Twisted Diesel
Empire Diesel DieselSite
Swamps Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode