BB Turbo question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

BB Turbo question

Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

I currently have a GDS aftermarket turbo which has been said to be the same as the TN non-BB turbo. It has run well, but is beginning to leak a bit of oil through the exhaust.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit?

These are only questions meant to educate my buy decision. I am hoping not to incite a riot.

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:46 AM
7.3 PSD Mythology Expert

Re: BB Turbo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

I currently have a GDS aftermarket turbo which has been said to be the same as the TN non-BB turbo. It has run well, but is beginning to leak a bit of oil through the exhaust.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit?

These are only questions meant to educate my buy decision. I am hoping not to incite a riot.
The Garrett BB is still the top choice of proven drop in turbos and the surge issue is more common on the Internet than in real life.
I'll stop now and not post again in this thread so as not to fuel the part in bold

David Lott
Quote:
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
No purpose no happiness, know purpose know happiness ---> Happiness is a direction not a destination.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
Aside from the quicker spooling, what are the benefits in terms of reliability of a BB turbo over it's stock counterpart. I want a BB, but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.Quicker spooling was not part of the plan, it is a side benefit. The double ball bearing was used because it is more durable at higher boost levels you will get with this turbo.

I had heard a year or so ago that the GTP 38R had surge problems?? True or false?? false Also how does the GTP-38R compare to the TN BB unit? It's twice as good

Since my buddy is skeered to answer, I'll answer. Besides, I like riots.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:11 AM
2nd class citizen

i have been very happy with my tn bb.i feel it out performs my stock turbo hands down.i can't speak for the gtp38r i have never ran one.from what i have read on the forum the gtp38r is a good turbo also.i think it would be your personal prefference and probably price.

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Since my buddy is skeered to answer, I'll answer. Besides, I like riots.
I cant believe i am agreeing with u 444!!!! but u are right. to me they are both good turbos, but the Garrett has been out a lot longer and is more proven. some people have had surge issues, but it really isnt that many when u compare how many Garretts are out there.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
The Garrett BB is still the top choice of proven drop in turbos and the surge issue is more common on the Internet than in real life.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Supercharged

Send a message via Yahoo to Rockrunner86

I haven't tried the TN BB but I am very happy with my 38R. I think it may be the best drop in hands down.

99.5 F-350 6-speed Daily Driver/Tow Rig.

Engine - Empire Diesel Performance

Air - Empire Diesel Performance Compounds Procharger Primary / Garrett 38R Secondary

Oil- Swamps Gen-3

Fuel - B-codes
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99

OMG... why dont we just make a TN vs 38R sticky and not have anymore of these stupid turbo thread??

No offense to the OP... the whole turbo thing in general just gets old...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks for the opines. What about oil leaking into the exhaust. Is the bearing cartridge and shaft sealed the same as the standard Garrett with a C ring? That seems like a weak point at least in my experience.

Also, what boost pressure is common with stock injectors? Since this is my daily driver I want to get the turbo shaken out but was also thinking of going to Stage II single shots or Single shot AC's

2002 X PSD, Billy Boat 4", AirRaid, 38R,HO Outlet, IH Up-pipes, Gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Water Temp, Oil PSI at Turbo Pedestal

DP-Tuner 6 pos No Start - 140
Super Heavy Duty 4R100 / triple disc from ATO
Transmissions in Sacramento
ICON 5" Spring Pack Lift
PSC Ram Assist Steering

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:27 AM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

I'll just say I love my Turbonetics BB turbo... Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info...

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode