GREY CPS = P.O.S. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

GREY CPS = P.O.S.

Well I have been chasing a hard start problem for a long time now, every morning only first start of the day the truck would take 5-7 seconds of cranking to start then the rest of the day starts fine. I threw new injectors, new HPOP, new IPR, new ICP, the pressures where all good and noone could figure it out. Even after live tuning the problem still exisited but then Jody told me that the grey CPS sucks and he has always had better results with the black. So i put the black CPS back in and kept the grey as the spare and guess what to problem is gone the trucks start with 1.5 seconds now 2 days in a row. Word to the wise buy all the black CPS's you can and keep the grey as a tempory spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT
Re: GREY CPS = P.O.S.

I got 3 all together now, 2 spares, one in the truck. One of the black ones is broken so I will throw that in and take it to fords to replace to try out this POS gray one to see my luck.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 AM
What??

Where might one find the black ones still? Would a regular parts store still carry them?

1999 F-350 CC DRW Build Date - 06/99
It ain't much, but it hauls my fat a** around.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 AM
OBS junkie

I wouldn't say all grey CPS are junk, I know 3 guys running them without issues. One is a early 99 a 01 & an 02 all with DP Tuners as well. Just seems to affect some trucks more then others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Dan, that's great news! Glad you figured it out.

I had the gray CPS in the 95 and had issues as well. Not starting issues though. Mine was rough at 2500rpms, like a slight miss(in park). Changed it out to the black one, problem solved.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 AM
<-- it's like that

I'm willing to bet that the grey CPS affects more trucks than we realize.

Here's my theory, and it would probably take a lot of test trucks, but hear me out. With a warm engine at idle hook up AE, check the change in rotational velocity percentage for all 8 cylinders and note down the percentages given for each cylinder. Now swap in the grey CPS and repeat the test. Note the percentages given for each cylinder and see if they change. My bet is that on a majority of trucks, the percentages will go up. On some trucks, the #8 cylinder will jump to 4&#37; or higher. Those are the ones that will also fail the CCT test with the grey CPS.

Anyway, that's my theory. Someone can test it out if they have the time.

Curtis
2002 F-250 PSD
Gambling with 250/200's on PMR's.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Also another test. Test the magnetic strength of each. You'll find the black CPS has twice the pull.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
<<<<< Next Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
I'm willing to bet that the grey CPS affects more trucks than we realize.

Here's my theory, and it would probably take a lot of test trucks, but hear me out. With a warm engine at idle hook up AE, check the change in rotational velocity percentage for all 8 cylinders and note down the percentages given for each cylinder. Now swap in the grey CPS and repeat the test. Note the percentages given for each cylinder and see if they change. My bet is that on a majority of trucks, the percentages will go up. On some trucks, the #8 cylinder will jump to 4% or higher. Those are the ones that will also fail the CCT test with the grey CPS.

Anyway, that's my theory. Someone can test it out if they have the time.

I tested this on a truck that was failing on #8. It did exaclty what you just said. I swapped my black CPS in and all was fine, even had a better idle and throttle response. I did notice that it was throwing #3 off on the rotational test with the gray CPS. #8 with gray was 5.2, #3 was 3.0. With the black sensor it was zeros across the board.

N.E. Terminator Tech

2000 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 LWB Auto
DP-Tuner F5, Terminator HPOP, QSSB, ITP's fuel system, BTS trans.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
<<<<< Next Generation

I must add I also did the same on my truck, same results

N.E. Terminator Tech

2000 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 LWB Auto
DP-Tuner F5, Terminator HPOP, QSSB, ITP's fuel system, BTS trans.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
PSN Newb

I was new to diesels when I got my truck and got the new grey cps with in 2 weeks on getting it so I did not know much about how they ran .I always heard to carry a spare so I went to O RIELLYS and purchased a spare threw it in the glove box never looked to see what color until yesterday.It turned out to be a black cps so after reading this and other threads I decided to change it out.WOW what a difference truck runs much better I need to go get another one to put back in the glove box plus I still have the grey pos just in case.

2002 F350 CREW LARIAT DWD 7.3
MODS
ZOODAD,STRAIGHT PIPE,DIY AIR, FOIL DELETE
XM RADIO
DI chip 6 position stock tow daily street race hi idle
SLAPS MEMBER 173

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode