Diff question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Ricky Bobby

Diff question

so i don't know if this should go in the trans forum or what but here it is...mods move if need be.

what do you guys think of putting a detroit locker in the rear end?

I have one in my '70 and love it. its a LB so i don't notice it much.

I have heard of the detroit causing axle shafts to break though...? anybody with experiance with this?

DD, tow and the occasional race is what i will be using my truck for. DD i would say 70% of the time. but i like to drive with the go pedal down and i like to do the occasional burn off, but i can't stand that one tire stands still...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Cummins Power

Re: Diff question

I'm on my second one in the rear. It's not so much that they break axles it's if you break an axle most times it takes out the locker. That's what happened to my first one sled pulling. When I replaced it I went with Moser axles.

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

I just ordered a Tru Trac for my rear diff. With all the snow we get up here and the fact that my truck is a DD too, I just don't want to be locked all the time. The Tru Trac seems to be a great upgrade and seems to get great reviews from those who have them.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: Diff question

What about Auburn ?

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydog View Post
I just ordered a Tru Trac for my rear diff. With all the snow we get up here and the fact that my truck is a DD too, I just don't want to be locked all the time. The Tru Trac seems to be a great upgrade and seems to get great reviews from those who have them.
This is more street friendly IMO and is a nice limited slip, thats an all gear tosion style. Nothing to really wear out. However, I have a detroit in the rear of mine (ECSB) and I absolutely LOVE it. My truck is always loaded though, with near 50/50 weight distrobution. Last time I was messing on the scale, it was within 200 pounds, front to rear axle. My truck almost never jumps, and if your on the go pedal, your wheels are locked. However, I drove it once, without any weight in the bed, and it was a whole lot jumpier. You knotice this the most when your pulling out onto the road from a stop, making the near 90* turn left or right.

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Banned

If you're not planning to hang a tire in the air on some rocks then you do NOT need a detroit.

A True-Trac is a damn good carrier for anything but full-on rock crawling and hard trail riding where hanging a tire is common.

I have an Auburn, and although I have had very good luck with them in other stuff, this one sucks beyond any and all belief. It's more open than freakin open.

I will be swapping in a True-Trac whenever it makes sense to freshen up the rear end.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you're not planning to hang a tire in the air on some rocks then you do NOT need a detroit.

A True-Trac is a damn good carrier for anything but full-on rock crawling and hard trail riding where hanging a tire is common.

I have an Auburn, and although I have had very good luck with them in other stuff, this one sucks beyond any and all belief. It's more open than freakin open.

I will be swapping in a True-Trac whenever it makes sense to freshen up the rear end.
Good to know Charles.. I hope to install my True Trac next week.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Banned

And I'm not knocking the detroit, but it's not going to hang with a True-Trac on the street. And it's going to be doing a lot of banging and popping in the meantime.

I can't stand that popping clanging chit. I can't ride in a truck with a detroit for more than an hour or so before I have to get in something else. Now if there's no pavement involved...... the guy with the Detroit is your best bud.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Cummins Power

Mine rarely make any noise. When it does it will wake you up for shore.

Kevin

12v CONVERSION IN PROGRESS, Special thanks to:
South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned

They rarely make any noise if you drive their way. If you just drive however you wanted you would have people stopping traffic to figure out what just fell out from under your truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode