Dyno and HP Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Dyno and HP Questions

Finally got my truck on a dyno. Stock setting (pre TN BB install) was 200HP at the wheels. Post TN BB install it dropped to 160HP It did not seem to want to make any boost, only hit 16PSI, compared to 20+ prior to turbo install. We checked for leaks in up pipes and turbo etc, but none noted? Then DP 80e tune pre TN BB install hit 260HP and only 270 after install?? Boost was 25+ before and only 22 after. Same results with 120r tune. I did note that EGT was only getting to 1100 after turbo install compared to hitting 1300 before. Driving truck on the road, really notice the difference after turbo install, really spools quick and no problems lighting the rear tyres

Questions; How much HP do you loose from engine to wheels, stock is stated as 235HP? On the dyno runs after turbo install I noticed truck climbing up onto front roller, will this impact results? Is it normal to see drop in boost after installing larger turbo (but it moves more air)?

By the way, it is an awesome sound compared to stock, sorta howls until it hits around 6-7psi boost and then the whistle is jet like. My ears are still ringing from the dyno runs

2006 7.3L F250 CC SB 4x4 (RHD made in Brazil) Afe Stg II PG7, TN BB, ITP RR, Banks IC, 4" Ex, DP F6, Fluidampr, BTC, Transgo Tugger, Mag Hytec Pans. 305/70R18 MT ATZs, 4" Icon, OUO Blocks, Bilstein 5100s and FS Ride Rite bags PMR's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Re: Dyno and HP Questions

"Climbing" anywhere during a dyno pull is a great way to lose a car/truck to the dyno. Make sure if you make any more pulls that the dyno operator CRANKS down those straps. At that hp level the truck should just be sitting there and not even budging. Sometimes at really high power levels or with a lot of spray coming in you just can't keep the straps from stretching a little and it will pull forward an inch or so on every pull. But I have yet to see my truck even strain against the straps on the dyno.

If you're just talking about a fractional movement then that's okay, although if it's cranked down good it really should just sit pretty. But if it was really moving around at that power level then the damn straps must have been almost floppy behind it.

Did he use 4 straps on the rear? Criss-crossed? You should be able to put some good weight on them by litely stomping them with one foot and it not pull the truck around much if any, once they're all tight.

Did you drop it in gear and have him go around cranking them down while the tires rolled over?

Climbing up the roller sub 300rwhp doesn't sound like a safe strapping method.

Just make sure y'all get that thing cranked down good and it will be fine.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Thanks for the common sense advice. They used a chain and just adjusted the hook on the links to get it "tight", but obviously not tight enough. It just did not look right to me.

I will be putting it back on the rollers in a few weeks when I install the rest of my mods. Without any fuel upgrades, except reg fuel return, what HP range should it be around?

2006 7.3L F250 CC SB 4x4 (RHD made in Brazil) Afe Stg II PG7, TN BB, ITP RR, Banks IC, 4" Ex, DP F6, Fluidampr, BTC, Transgo Tugger, Mag Hytec Pans. 305/70R18 MT ATZs, 4" Icon, OUO Blocks, Bilstein 5100s and FS Ride Rite bags PMR's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 PM
FNG

Man i wish we could get an 06 with a 7.3 here in the US

Dave G

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

They used a chain and just adjusted the hook on the links to get it "tight"

Wow. Don't put your truck back on a dyno that you don't use 4 straps criss-crossed in the rear and two straps on the front. Chains are not acceptable. That's just plain scary.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
Man i wish we could get an 06 with a 7.3 here in the US
I like peanut butter

1994 F-700 Cummins 5.9 12v and Arbortech chip body

1999 International 4900 DT466E w/Allison auto, flatbed 60' rear mount altec am855 boom.

2001 F-350 7.3 4x4 reg cab, single shots, BTS trans,
35" toyo mt's on black 18" KMC addicts

2006 F-350 6.0 4x4 cc lariat, 20" stock wheels with toyo at's....waiting for studs and all that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzPowerstroker View Post
...I noticed truck climbing up onto front roller...
Real (high-hp) chassis dyno's only have ONE roller...

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; Turbine Jacket; Banks IC, BanksBrake
Melling LPOP, External Oil Cooler & Filter System
Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP,
Swamps 160/30's, HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5
Full R-R Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Rad & Tank; 4" Exhaust, Twin Aussie Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 AM
PSN Local

was the dyno the same one? pre/ post runs? Doesn't sound like the truck was strapped down enough to load the truck as well.
What did the 120r tune get you on the dyno? Pre turbo you should have had 290-300 with just intake/chip/exhaust.
What are you seeing on the street with the TN BB with boost#'s? My F550 with I/E/C will hit 27lbs. And it will hit it quickly :)
LUK
Joel

00 F350- intake,exhaust, pi convertor/ trans
00 F550- dump, intake,exhaust....TN BB exh coated, pi convertor/trans
01 F350- dump, intake,exhaust, BTS v/b, torque conv.
03 F250- CC SB- 5.4 gas

(2)- 06 Dodge 2500 CC 5.9 twins/trans/tunes/fuel
03 dodge drag 10.5 fuel only
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico5 View Post
Real (high-hp) chassis dyno's only have ONE roller...
It was a general purpose, heavy duty 4WD and truck dyno, I guess more for diagnostic work rather than performance??

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Strokin Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf350 View Post
was the dyno the same one? pre/ post runs? Doesn't sound like the truck was strapped down enough to load the truck as well.
What did the 120r tune get you on the dyno? Pre turbo you should have had 290-300 with just intake/chip/exhaust.
What are you seeing on the street with the TN BB with boost#'s? My F550 with I/E/C will hit 27lbs. And it will hit it quickly :)
LUK
Joel
Yes it was same dyno, and from what I am hearing it obviously was not strapped down well to get good runs. The 120r tune, post turbo install still only hit around 270, again climbing badly. On the road, 120r spools up real quick to 25-27psi and truck really gets going fast. 140ex similar, but more smoke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode