First Long Trip - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

First Long Trip

Just wanted to let you guys know that I took my first long trip over the last two days hauling my behemoth 5th wheel.

Running the flats in overdrive, I could easily maintain 75mph with trans temps below 170 and EGT's between 800 and 900deg . The hills were a different story. Climbing some very steep grades through Montana (headed to Glacier National Park), I had to drop out of overdrive for sure but maintained pretty good speeds except for the really nasty 6% plus grades where I had to drop down to about 45mph . The only reason I couldn't maintain 75 on most of the hills was turbo surge . She would start to flutter and I would get my foot off of the skinny pedal. My trans warmed up to 180 and drifted between 180 and 190 as I alternately climbed and went down the hills in a lower gear because of the surge. My EGT's never strayed much above 1150 at any time though.

I would have to say that I am generally pleased but the list of changes for next year will definitely include either a new turbo or a turbo housing and a tranny cooler.

If anyone has any ideas on the cheap (cuz the wife will kill me if I add another thing to my truck this year), I would be more than willing to listen.

--------------------------------
2001 F250 Extended Cab 4x4
"Air Lift" Air Bags
DIY #6637 Intake
DIY Exhaust Brake
Zoodad
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Turbomaster Wastegate Controller
Dieselsite engine and intercooler boots
Pricol Optix gauges
DP Tuner= No Start, Stock, 80 Econo, 40 HA Tow, 140 Race
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots-o-surge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: First Long Trip

I have something, but it's not cheap................sorry.

Great write-up anyway!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky3539 View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that I took my first long trip over the last two days hauling my behemoth 5th wheel.

Running the flats in overdrive, I could easily maintain 75mph with trans temps below 170 and EGT's between 800 and 900deg . The hills were a different story. Climbing some very steep grades through Montana (headed to Glacier National Park), I had to drop out of overdrive for sure but maintained pretty good speeds except for the really nasty 6% plus grades where I had to drop down to about 45mph . The only reason I couldn't maintain 75 on most of the hills was turbo surge . She would start to flutter and I would get my foot off of the skinny pedal. My trans warmed up to 180 and drifted between 180 and 190 as I alternately climbed and went down the hills in a lower gear because of the surge. My EGT's never strayed much above 1150 at any time though.

I would have to say that I am generally pleased but the list of changes for next year will definitely include either a new turbo or a turbo housing and a tranny cooler.

If anyone has any ideas on the cheap (cuz the wife will kill me if I add another thing to my truck this year), I would be more than willing to listen.

Big oil would be a nice addition along with a turbo!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
PSN Veteran

If you don't plan on getting any bigger injectors I think you would be just fine with getting an ATS housing to fix the surge. It's a little expensive but cheaper than a new turbo.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty

My wife and I went to Glacier for our Honeymoon 2 years ago. Beautiful country. How did you like it?

Brian

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

I'm at Glacier right now, well ok at a campground a few miles away..

I think big oil would be a great addition to your truck too.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
My wife and I went to Glacier for our Honeymoon 2 years ago. Beautiful country. How did you like it?
So far, it is fantastic. We dodged dead deer (and Antelope) carcass for two days to get here, so it's nice to see some live ones. We had dinner at the Belton Railroad Hotel last night and that was very good. Were going to take a run up to Canada today and see the far North part of the park. I have heard that the Waterton side is very nice indeed. I will let you know how my sports car (F250-5th wheel) runs the hills.

"Air Lift" Air Bags
DIY #6637 Intake
DIY Exhaust Brake
Zoodad
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Pricol Optix gauges

Lots-o-surge

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
2nd class citizen

here's an ats housing for sale cheap fix for surge.
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...ad.php?t=12171

2003 CRW CAB LB 4X4 6SPD,AFE STAGE 2,38r,DP TUNER,4'' MBRP,FASS 15,Farmers Disel Performance 160/100 injectors,ITPREG.RETURN,TERMINATOR
2001 crw cab short bed auto 4x4 5"exhaust afe stg 2,f6,jw trans,terminator,cass. stg2's,itp reg return,fuel lab pump.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
JDG's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to 99F250Smitty

We ate at the Belton the first night there. Lake McDonald Lodge has some good eats also. If you are on the west side of the park, we drove over to Whitefish, bout 20-30 minutes, there is some good restaurants there. Make sure you drop the trailer and drive the Going to the Sun Road. If you stop at Logan's pass, there is a nice 1.5 mile hike up to an awsome view over a lake. Also, just past Lake Mcdonald Lodge there is a trail to avalanche lake, its about 2.5miles, but it is awsome!!!

Brian

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks 99F250Smitty ... We will give Lake McDonald a try. Unfortunately, the pass is still closed right now. We were hoping that they would get it open this week but the weather isn't really cooperating. No worries. Were going to have a great time anyway. I brought my golf clubs as well, because I couldn't resist the golf course just outside the park.

"Air Lift" Air Bags
DIY #6637 Intake
DIY Exhaust Brake
Zoodad
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Pricol Optix gauges

Lots-o-surge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode