Low boost high EGTs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

Low boost high EGTs

I can't seem to get more than 20 psi of boost out of my truck and my EGTs are out of this world because of it. I have checked for boost leaks and the truck is completely air tight! I am not throwing an overboost code, I am getting plenty of fuel, my EBPV is open and my wastegate is not opening. What could be causing my trucks condition? I have been working on this for almost a month and can't figure out what the issue is. Could my intercooler be slightly plugged or not flowing air very well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2002 F250 super cab w/long bed :thumb:rapid flow intake, zoodad mod, wicked wheel, bellowed uppipes, Custom Wildman Tunes! 4'' exhaust, 5'' rolled chrome tip, banks transcommand, dual trans coolers, cooling mist inject, wheels, tires, tinted windows, and all the chrome accessories I can stack on it! :nod:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Low boost high EGTs

still sounds like a boost leak! how did you check for boost leaks? what is the condition of the air filter? have you looked for soot around the up pipes?

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM

exhaust leaks can cause this too. check your uppipes!!!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
PSN Veteran

X2
also may want to pull the intake and check the condion of the comp wheel on the turbo.

2001 F250, CCSB, 4X4, Auto, Forged rods
Lots of go fast parts and still slow.

2001 F250, STD cab, 2WD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frame is a little shorter now
workin on body
engine build underway

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Ricky Bobby

do you have a boost fooler?

when you hit 20lbs does it fall on its face?

if the MAP is seeing ~20lbs, the PCM will defuel.

if you have high EGT's though, it soundes like a boost leak.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Crusty old Bastich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lords88 View Post
I can't seem to get more than 20 psi of boost out of my truck and my EGTs are out of this world because of it. I have checked for boost leaks and the truck is completely air tight! I am not throwing an overboost code, I am getting plenty of fuel, my EBPV is open and my wastegate is not opening. What could be causing my trucks condition? I have been working on this for almost a month and can't figure out what the issue is. Could my intercooler be slightly plugged or not flowing air very well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lords, which egt do gauge do you have? Did the heat problem start seemingly overnight? I had the same problem and it turned out to be the egt gauge thermocoupler. @ highway speeds, flat road, temps on the gauge were up a couple of hundred degrees, push it down a little and it would jump to 1400 in a heart beat!! Scared the hell out of me!! I checked eveything that the other guys have suggested, up pipes, boot leaks, etc. Once discribed to Bean, he hit on it immediately. He had fought the same problem on a few autometer'ed trucks. My boost never showed any difference, so your problem is more complicated than mine was.....good luck, hope you find the problem soon....

Jim

96 CC 2wd Dually

BDP engine build
BDP D-66
BDP/Casserly Hybrids
BDP twin pump fuel system

Hypermax Rods
Caltracs
Detroit locker
FactoryTech tranny

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

Well I went and checked the up pipes again and what do you know I found some soot on the one pipe. I cranked the bolts down about one turn more, then I took it for a test drive and it spooled up very quickly to 20 lbs then dropped out to 0. I am guessing this is overboosting. Looks like I need to find a boost fooler. Sorry for that fellas, I had checked the up pipes several times before and hadnt found any soot, this was my bad. Thanks for all the help though.

2002 F250 super cab w/long bed :thumb:rapid flow intake, zoodad mod, wicked wheel, bellowed uppipes, Custom Wildman Tunes! 4'' exhaust, 5'' rolled chrome tip, banks transcommand, dual trans coolers, cooling mist inject, wheels, tires, tinted windows, and all the chrome accessories I can stack on it! :nod:
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

Here you are- http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblamp View Post
Thanks!

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Praying for BOOST!

Alright fellas I am back at your mercy. I have tried everything under the sun to figure out what the issue is with my truck. I have checked fo boost leaks on the intake side and cannot find any leaks. I replaced my donuts on the up pipes and there is no soot anywhere near the up pipes. I also put a boost fooler on but I am not even pulling an overboost code. The only significant code I have is a low boost code. I still cannot get anymore than 20 psi out of my truck. It seems to sppol up about as fast or a littlefaster than my stocker to 20 psi and then just stops climbing and my temperatures are still very hot. Anybody got any ideas, because I am fresh out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode