driveshaft install info - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

driveshaft install info

Is installing a DS as simple as removing the 8 bolts and re-installing or are there do's and dont's like level driveway, out of gear, parking brake off, whatever. My driveway is sloped so I may need to do it elsewhere.

Tried Google with no love.

thanks

2001 Excursion Limited, Swamps 175/146 singles, John Wood tranny, UltraLite Gauges, 4" turbo back, AFE stage 1, Dp tunes, 7" Superlift, Fox Shocks, Firestone Airbags, 35"Toyo M/t...blah,blah,blah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 AM

Re: driveshaft install info

they are pretty straightforward. If u happen to do this on any unlevel surface, i would chalk the wheels and apply the Parking brake before tearing into it. u may have the carrier bearing in the center of it, you will need to undo those two bolts too, to completely drop the DS
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWagon View Post
Is installing a DS as simple as removing the 8 bolts and re-installing or are there do's and dont's like level driveway, out of gear, parking brake off, whatever. My driveway is sloped so I may need to do it elsewhere.

Tried Google with no love.

thanks
Just block your tires, and with the e brake also on, put the truck in neutral. That will free any tension on the shaft. Then you might want to put it back in gear or park (depending on stick or auto) to break loose the bolts, then back into neutral so you can turn the shaft to were you need to be to take the bolts the whole way out. Some people say "mark your shaft, so you line it back up etc" If you have to go to that step, IMO you have a driveline issue your too lazy to repair. While your shaft is off, its not a bad idea to have it balanced, and if it has the vibration dampner at the diff end, i would remove it. Easiest way it so set it on something really hard, and give it a slight smack with a hammer, it WILL split apart if you hit it right, and wont damage the driveshaft. The place I take my driveshaft to for balancing and most people say those are nothing but trouble, and once they wear out, they eat u joints. Ask me how I know.

DRW and tow fast parts.......

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the comments guys,

my new shaft is coming from Jess at High Angle Drive and is a CV style and will be balanced.

All I'm doing is removing the stocker and installing my new one. I'm assuming I can install anywhich way meaning I don't need to line anything up, just bolt it and go.

DiezelDawg, it's an Excursion 1 peice shaft

2001 Excursion Limited, Swamps 175/146 singles, John Wood tranny, UltraLite Gauges, 4" turbo back, AFE stage 1, Dp tunes, 7" Superlift, Fox Shocks, Firestone Airbags, 35"Toyo M/t...blah,blah,blah
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Anyway but backwards

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWagon View Post
Thanks for the comments guys,

my new shaft is coming from Jess at High Angle Drive and is a CV style and will be balanced.

All I'm doing is removing the stocker and installing my new one. I'm assuming I can install anywhich way meaning I don't need to line anything up, just bolt it and go.

DiezelDawg, it's an Excursion 1 peice shaft
Thats cool, i wasnt sure if they were one or two piece shafts
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 AM
OBS junkie

Just dropped & re installed the one on my 93 5-6 times in the past few days. (don't ask)
It's not that hard & do it a time or 2 & it becomes rather easy. I put mine in netural & just got one slab of wood to block the tire. Unbolt everything, drop off the old & throw on the new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:29 AM
PSN Veteran

I guess I should mention I also jack up the rear diff when I normally remove my driveshaft, that way I CAN spin the driveshaft while the tranny is in neutral. I just remembered that with the tires on the ground and the tranny in neutral you infact cannot turn the driveshaft for bolt access without rolling the truck along. LMAO

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 AM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02 View Post
I guess I should mention I also jack up the rear diff when I normally remove my driveshaft, that way I CAN spin the driveshaft while the tranny is in neutral. I just remembered that with the tires on the ground and the tranny in neutral you infact cannot turn the driveshaft for bolt access without rolling the truck along. LMAO
I just pushed the truck back & kicked out the block. Then rolled it till I could see where I wanted it then put the block back in.
Ahhh the wonders of working by yourself....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 AM
PSN Veteran

Hense why I jack up the rear end, so in neutral I can turn it, and in park, I can turn the wrench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode